No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNAseq strand-specific vs.non strand-specific

Hi there 'RNA-sequers',

I am pretty new to this field and I would like to ask (something maybe basic) if anyone could please explain to me why you'd use a strand-specific protocol to build cDNA libraries out of total RNA instead of normal protocol (i.g., non strand specific one). I am struggling to see what are the benefits for using each, and definitely struggling to understand the biology foundation behind. I mean, you won't see more gene expression depending whether you use a strand specific protocol, right???.

My organism (petunia) does not have a reference genome, would a strand-specific protocol be a better fit???

Thanks very much!!.
    Gonzalo.

With a strand-specific method, you benefit from knowing whether the read originated from the + or - strand. This is particularly useful for finding unannotated genes and ncRNAs. On the negative side, I think it ends up costing a bit more. For those of us just looking for annotated differentially expressed genes in well annotated organisms (particularly mouse and human), strand-specific protocols may not be worth it.

If you're sequencing the genome as well and plan to use the RNAseq data to bolster gene-calling, you'd do well to use a strand-specific protocol. If not, and you're looking at differences due to environment/fertilizer/whatever then someone with experience in de novo assembly would need to chime in, since I have zero experience with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      On the negative side, I think it ends up costing a bit more.
      For Illumina TruSeq RNA kits the cost difference between stand-speicfic or not is negligible. I don't have information about other kits. I will agree that there may be some applications where the additional strand information doesn't add much to the analysis, but I really can't think of any situation where having strand-specific data would be detrimental.*

(*Unless the strand specific protocol biases transcript presence/abundance in the the final library but thus far I have heard no reports of this happening.)

Comment

I would definitely favor strand specific data anymore over non-strand specific. Without a reference genome, you will need to de novo assembly and some assemblers work best with strand-specific data, such as Trinity.

Comment

Thanks all for your feedback.
          I think it may have to do with the fact that a strand-specific protocol works ONLY with coding regions - CDS (which is what I am interested in) so I can rule out other non-coding RNA's (i.e., rule out antisense RNA, regulatory RNA, etc). This will allow me to see gene expression, not antisense regulation, for example. Any thoughts on this?

...thanks...
          -G

Comment

Strand specific protocols are not coding sequence only. Rather they have the added advantage that you can distinguish reads anti-sense reads from the coding sequence since you know the strand that it came from.

Comment

Thanks kmcarr.
              Last edited by RachelJo; 11-01-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

RachelJo,

Sorry but that's not true. While "Trinity performs best with strand-specific data" (see http://trinityrnaseq.sourceforge.net/#running_trinity) it will assemble non strand-specific reads just fine.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
                  by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
                  05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
                0 responses