No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving sequence parts using blastdbcmd

Hi all

I am trying to retrieve nucleotide ranges from a BLAST database using blastdbcmd with the -entry_batch option. According to the user manual, blastdbcmd can work with input ranges (in "start-end" format) as well as with strand ("plus/minus"). The query file looks like this:

comp185406_c0_seq1 1374-1472
    comp185740_c0_seq1 405-506

When I run blastdbcmd I get the following error:
    Error: comp185406_c0_seq1 1374-1472: OID not found
    Error: comp185740_c0_seq1 405-506: OID not found

I don't get the error if I use only the sequence IDs and not with nucleotide ranges. I have tried adding "-entry" and "-range" to the input file but this does not help.

Any suggestions? I am doing this on a windows machine using blast 2.2.25+

Thanks
    Daniel

Its likely that this issue has already been address here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22415

HTH

Comment

Hi HTH - the same questions was asked there three years ago but the issue has not been solved. Any suggestions?
      Daniel

Comment

Hi Dsher,

I don't have a direct answer for this as I have not used blastdbcmd lately. Could the problem be related to this? Let me know if this helps while waiting from someone who is familiar with the problem to chip in something.
        The blastdbcmd tool in the BLAST+ suite (replacing fastacmd in the C 'legacy' BLAST suite) lets you do a lot of clever things with a BLAST d...

Comment

Wonder if this is windows specific problem. On unix:

Code:
          blastdbcmd -db refseq_rna -entry_batch range.txt -outfmt "%f" -out test_query.txt

$ more range.txt 
          nm_000249 100-150
          nm_000249 150-200

Here is the output:

$ more test_query.txt
          >gi|263191547|ref|NM_000249.3|:100-150 Homo sapiens mutL homolog 1, colon cancer, nonpolyposis type 2 (E. coli) (MLH 1), transcript variant 1, mRNA
          ACAGCTGAAGGAAGAACGTGAGCACGAGGCACTGAGGTGATTGGCTGAAGG
          >gi|263191547|ref|NM_000249.3|:150-200 Homo sapiens mutL homolog 1, colon cancer, nonpolyposis type 2 (E. coli) (MLH 1), transcript variant 1, mRNA
          GCACTTCCGTTGAGCATCTAGACGTTTCCTTGGCTCTTCTGGCGCCAAAAT
          Last edited by GenoMax; 05-20-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses