No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clustering RNA-Seq RPKM/ReadsCount issues

Hello all,

I have an RNA-Seq expression data, both RPKM/ReadsCount. Number of records in each dataset is ~35,000 gene.

The samples are organised as follows:
    Tissue #1: 5 stages , 2 replicates for each stage. Total 10 samples
    Tissue #2: 5 stages , 2 replicates for each stage. Total 10 samples

What I want to do with the expression data is basically clustering. I need to cluster each tissue separate from the other for now.

A couple of issues I came across:
    • What is the correct way to deal with missing values as I have many of them scattered all over the dataset?
    • I read that it good to get rid of those genes that have zero ReadsCount in more than a specific percentage (30%, 40%, 50% ... ) of the samples? makes sense to me, but I dunno if it is correct!
    • What kind of data should go into the clustering process (RPKM, ReadsCount, add 0.00001 to all RPKM values, take the log2 , then calculate the standard normalized value of each RPKM
    • Should replicates go into the clustering, or values from both replicates of each samples need to normalized in some way to produce one value (this way I will end up with 5 columns for each sample)?

I would really appreciate any kind of help with each of the above issues

Any help, please!

Comment

The shortest answer would be to simply refer you to section 7 of the DESeq vignette as an example.

I should add, that there are multiple ways to do this sort of thing. Also, biological replicates should be kept separate, otherwise you'd might as well not have bothered running them.

Comment

Hi,

For Read counts data set matrix (35000 genes * 20 samples),
        First filter all the genes that is zero across all the samples.

Second, load the filtered dataset in R using DESeq package --> perform size factor normalization -->
        and apply 20-40% (your choice, whichever works better) quantile filtering to filter out the low expressed genes.

Third, use the filtered dataset from above to calculate the distance matrix
        and then used pclust function to perform clustering of the samples.

I'm not sure the same could be applied for RPKMs.... you could use the cummeRbund
        package to cluster the samples based on RPKM values if the RPKMs was derived from cufflinks suite with differential expression data from cuffidiff.

I hope this will work for you and cluster the 2 tissue samples separately.

Thanks
        --
        Muthu

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses