No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different reads length samples in same experiment

Hello! everyone.

I am working on the Hiseq PE (DNA) data, and some samples have 100bp PE and other samples have 90bp PE. So my question is if we can use those data for analysis in one experiment and same methods without any processing (after QC), or we can trim the different length to the same length such as 70bp, then analysis them using same methods. So which method is better?

Thank you!

different reads length samples in same experiment

It depends what you are going to do with your data, and what software you are going to use to analyse it.

Some programs might want the reads to be all the same length.

Some applications, such as de novo assembly, might work better if the reads are trimmed to remove adapter sequences and poor quality bases.

Comment

Going along with Mastal's comments, since you have genomic PE data then it is likely that you with either be doing mapping to a known genome or a de-novo assembly. In either case most programs will not care about differing lengths. Perhaps obviously once you remove adapter sequences then you will have different read lengths. Since most programs work with trimmed reads (although this step is often not needed for known genome mapping) then the programs are capable of working with different lengths.

What I find is that most programs are not capable of working with paired end and single end data in the same file nor, when working with PE data only, having the pairs out of order.

Also I'd say that at least half of the programs I use are not capable of mixing up different types of reads; e.g., handling 454 reads along with Illumina hiSeq reads.

If you want to tell us explicitly what you want to do and/or the programs you are going to use then we can give you more specific help.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
        by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
        “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
        05-24-2024, 01:16 PM
      • seqadmin
        Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
        by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
        05-06-2024, 07:48 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 03:16 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 05-29-2024, 01:32 PM
      0 responses