Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kirito
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 2

    #1

    How to soft-clip in SAMTOOLS?

    Hello everyone,

    I am using SAMTOOLS to view, sort, and index parts of a patient's DNA. But no matter what I do, I always get the same answer in alignment of this DNA with reference DNA: "empty."

    I think the problem is that I don't have my data soft-clipped. How do I soft-clip data in samtools? Does samtools sort do soft-clipping? Because I already use samtools sort. Thanks!
  • westerman
    Rick Westerman
    • Jun 2008
    • 1104

    #2
    As far as I know Samtools does not do soft-clipping. It does have the CIGAR string which will contain clipping information.

    Since you are new person to SeqAnswers I have to ask the basic question: You do know that Samtools does not do alignment? Rather it parses sam/bam files that other alignment programs have created. If the up-stream alignment program did not find an alignment then Samtools can not report an alignment.

    Comment

    • chadn737
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 392

      #3
      Soft-clipping is done by some alignment software (BWA and bowtie2) during the initial alignment. I'm not sure what you are asking otherwise.

      Comment

      • Heisman
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 534

        #4
        We need to have a mandatory sticky that should be read and quizzed over prior to asking questions. Your post makes little sense to me. Please copy and paste all of the commands you used as well as the error message you saw. Samtools does not perform softcliipping; I am not aware of any non-aligner tools that do (although there may be some).

        Comment

        • kirito
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2013
          • 2

          #5
          Yes, I do know that samtools does not do alignment. I am using another program called SHEAR to do that. However, when I run my files through SHEAR, all the results end up being "empty". This would mean two things in my opinion: 1) the data I have does not have any differences with the reference genome, or 2) there is a problem with the data. I ran the data again through CREST (which detects genetic structural variations), and the result came up as empty again. CREST informed me that I needed to have soft-clipped data.

          Comment

          • westerman
            Rick Westerman
            • Jun 2008
            • 1104

            #6
            Originally posted by kirito View Post
            Yes, I do know that samtools does not do alignment. I am using another program called SHEAR to do that.
            Never heard of the program. The seqanswers wiki page on known software does not list it. Could you give a reference to the program? Ditto with CREST.
            However, when I run my files through SHEAR, all the results end up being "empty". This would mean two things in my opinion: 1) the data I have does not have any differences with the reference genome, or 2) there is a problem with the data. I ran the data again through CREST (which detects genetic structural variations), and the result came up as empty again. CREST informed me that I needed to have soft-clipped data.
            Usually an alignment needs to be made before detecting variants.

            Comment

            • dpryan
              Devon Ryan
              • Jul 2011
              • 3478

              #7
              Why don't you just realign the data with an aligner that does soft-clipping (many aligners don't do that by default)? Trying to soft-clip after the fact is a fool's errand.

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                Yesterday, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
              0 responses
              9 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              32 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              27 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              47 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...