Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Collidor
    Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 12

    #1

    Explain Samtools like I am a 5 year old

    Brief history
    Bioinformatics expertise: Novice
    Objective: Want to compile bam index files to view aligned reads in IGV.
    Starting materials: downloaded Perl, latest samtools, and have ~30 bam files ready and eager to visualize.
    OS: Windows 7 64-bit

    I am not a computer scientist. I have no intention of learning all there is to know about command line bioinformatics. Someone please give me a point-by-point explanation of how I go about generating bam index files all the way up from opening the correct terminal to executing the command. Every manual I have found about samtools assumes that I have some working knowledge of command line....I have none. Don't know how to proceed from opening a command terminal to building in samtools or assigning directories or anything.

    Keep it simple--assume I am 5.
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #2
    Did you already install samtools or just download the source code from sourceforge? Doing anything like this on windows, given your knowledge base, is going to daunting. You might just do the following:

    1) Download this really old version of samtools for windows.
    2) Unzip the file and copy the .exe file to whereever you BAM files are.
    3) Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to wherever your BAM files and the samtools .exe file are.
    4) Right click on one of the BAM files and select "Copy address" (or maybe "Copy address as text", one of them should work).
    4) Click the start button/image and type "cmd" in the search box, click on the result.
    5) In the terminal, type "cd " (note, there is a space after the "cd" command)
    6) Paste the address that you copied in step 4 (you may have to go to Edit->paste).
    7) Delete the file name, you just need the path.
    8) For each file, type "samtools.exe index the_file_name.bam", where "the_file_name.bam" is obviously each file name.
    9) If the files aren't sorted, you'll have to "samtools sort original.bam original.sorted.bam" (change original.bam to the file name) and then index the sorted BAM files.

    I don't use windows, but this should be approximately correct. If it doesn't work, your best bet is to find someone with a Mac or who runs linux and buy him/her a beer.

    Comment

    • Collidor
      Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 12

      #3
      Thanks, dpryan, for that response. An error message is returned that "samtools.exe" is not a recognized command. Regardless, that explanation is just the kind I needed and hopefully someone can polish up the issue even more.

      Comment

      • dpryan
        Devon Ryan
        • Jul 2011
        • 3478

        #4
        Hmm, I remembered the current directory being added to the $PATH in Windows, I guess that either changed or I'm misremembering. If you type:
        Code:
        echo %path%
        You'll get a list of directories to which you can move the samtools.exe file. Move it to one of those and the "samtools.exe ..." command should work.

        Comment

        • Collidor
          Member
          • Jul 2013
          • 12

          #5
          Thanks again for the feedback but I solved my problem with an alternative method.
          For those with similar issues, follow this procedure:
          1. Download GenomeBrowse for free at <http://www.goldenhelix.com/GenomeBrowse/>
          2. Install, download the reference sequence to your local directory
          3. Upload any .bam files of your choosing. The software will automatically index the bam files (.bai output) to the directory in which the .bam files are contained.
          4. Once indexed, the visual read counts will show up and you can navigate the sequences however you so chose.

          Comment

          • Bukowski
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 388

            #6
            Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut..

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
            0 responses
            10 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            32 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            48 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...