Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshoot running coveragestats.py in Tablet (SamTools related)

I recently downloaded Tablet to assess read coverage of my de novo assembly of RNA-Seq of marine snail venom duct tissue. I have tried to run a script supplied by Tablet, coveragestats.py, which will give me: number of coverage values (=contig length), average depth, percent of bases with a depth greater than zero (percent coverage), and maximum depth.

I get the following error when I try to run the script

Traceback (most recent call last): File "coveragestats.py", line 91, in stats = '\t'.join(templateStr) % tuple([func(coverages) for func in funcList]) File "coveragestats.py", line 71, in average return float(sum(ints))/float(len(ints)) ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero

I am fairly certain this is happening because when I load my .bam and reference files to Tablet I get the following warning:

The index for this BAM file is reporting a total read count of zero. Although this may be correct, it is more likely that the index file was generated prior to read metrics being available. It is advisable to recreate this index using samtools 0.1.8 or higher.

I have verified my version of samtools as being the latest version and have reindexed my .bam file several times. Still the same problem (read count 0). However I do see the number of reads associated with my contigs in the Tablet header (and they are displayed), just not in the actual list of contigs in the left panel where this info should be associated to each contig.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Duplicate of this post on BioStars,

Comment

Resolved as a bad BAM file, not a problem in Tablet or the coverage script - see the BioStars post.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses