Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to transform BAM format to .TXT or .BED?

Dear all,

I downloaded a file in .BAM format and want to transform it into .BED format. What can I do? Thanks a lot!

Zhen

Hi,
    I just finished a new version of BEDTools which has a C++ utility call bamToBed. This tool will convert BAM alignments to BED or BEDPE (see the BEDTools documentation) format. For example:

1. Convert BAM alignments to BED format.
    Code:
    $ bamToBed -i reads.bam > reads.bed
    2. Convert BAM alignments to BED format using edit distance (NM) as the BED “score”. Default is mapping quality.
    Code:
    $ bamToBed -i reads.bam -ed > reads.bed
    3. Convert BAM alignments to BEDPE format.
    Code:
    $ bamToBed -i reads.bam -bedpe > reads.bedpe
    Heng Li also posted a nice example of how to create a BAMToBED utility using the SamTools code base.

You might also be interested in two other utilities in BEDTools that now support BAM input and output. Namely, intersectBed now accepts BAM files as input and will separately compare each alignment (each end separately if paired-end) to a BED file. One can create a new BAM file based on those alignments that do or do not overlap the BED features in question. Similarly, pairToBed does the same thing, but requires that the BAM file be paired. This tools is a bit more sophisticated in that one can require the "span" of the aligned pair to overlap, as well as either/both/neither/xor/notboth ends of the pair.

For example:

1. Retain only paired-end BAM alignments where neither end overlaps simple sequence repeats.
    Code:
    $ pairToBed -abam reads.bam -b SSRs.bed -type neither > reads.noSSRs.bam
    2. Retain only paired-end BAM alignments where both ends overlap segmental duplications.
    Code:
    $ pairToBed -abam reads.bam -b segdups.bed -type both > reads.SSRs.bam
    3. Retain only paired-end BAM alignments where neither or one and only one end overlaps segmental duplications.
    Code:
    $ pairToBed -abam reads.bam -b segdups.bed -type notboth > reads.notbothSSRs.bam

The BAM support is built upon Derek Barnett's nice C++ BAM API called BAMTools (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bamtools/). I'd encourage you to take a look at the new BEDTools manual for more details if you are interested.

Best,
    Aaron

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by zhenshao View Post
      Dear all,

I downloaded a file in .BAM format and want to transform it into .BED format. What can I do? Thanks a lot!

Zhen
      I'm happy that BEDTools now include a bam->bed conversion utility... btw you still may try this (at least for Illumina reads):

Code:
      samtools view -F 0x0004 $filein | awk '{OFS="\t"; if (and($2, 16)) print $3,$4,$4+length($10),$1,$5,"-"; else print $3,$4,$4+length($10),$1,$5,"+" }
      d

Comment

Here is the sample code from Heng Li.

Download SAM tools for free. SAM (Sequence Alignment/Map) is a flexible generic format for storing nucleotide sequence alignment. SAMtools provide efficient utilities on manipulating alignments in the SAM format.

Protocol #4 describes his cut at bamToBed.

Aaron

Comment

bedtools bamtobed when large indels are present

I really like the bedtools bamtobed command, although there are some instances where reads skip very large indels and you don't want the bed file to include those indels. The only information you need is contained in columns 3 (chromosome), 4 (base pair start), and 6 (CIGAR) of the BAM file. Here is a simple awk script that should work (it really should be an option of bedtools bamtobed):
          Code:
          samtools view in.bam |
            awk '{split ($6,a,"[MIDNSHP]"); bp=$4-1; n=0;
              for (i=1; i<=length(a); i++) {
                n+=1+length(a[i]);
                if (substr($6,n,1)=="M") print $3"\t"bp"\t"(bp+=a[i]);
                if (substr($6,n,1)=="D") bp+=a[i];
              }
            }' > out.bed

Comment

--Hi,

i have a strange result using BamToBed and awk command line:

samtools view -F 0x0004 464_J3_D1.bam | head -1
            IP6FNQC01CAO42 0 gi|2281652|gb|AF004394.1| 18 40 5S304M7841N12M1D38M3S * 0 0 TTAACTCCCAGAAAAGACAAGATATCCTTGATCTGTGGGTCTACCACACGCAAGGCTACTTCCCTGATTGGCAGAACTACACACCAGGGCCAGGGATCAGATATCCACTGACCTTTGGATGGTGCTTCAAGCTAGTACCAGTGGAGCCAGAGAAGGTAGAAGAGGCCAATGAAGGAGAGAACAACAGCCTGTTACACCCTATGAGCCTGCATGGGATGGAGGACCCGGAGAAGGAAGTGTTAATGTGGCGGTTTGACAGCAGCCTAGCATTTCATCACATGGCCCGAGAGCTGCATCCGGAGCACTACAAGAACCAACAAGAAAGAATGAACAAGAATTATTAGAATTGGATAAATGGGACA 433146444?8.//153FFFFFFIIIIGGIIIIIII:::=IIIGGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHIIIIIIIIIIGIIIIIIIGGG888GGI666GIIIIIIIIIIIIIGFEEGGIIIII===GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@@@@GGGDDE@>>AACCGDDDDDDDDE<<<>DCDFIIIIEDFFDDDDFDDFFDDDFFECC221;C>>>B?>888EGC>>>@CGGGC>>>BBBBB>>>::333<>;;;>>BBBGDDDDCCCDDDDDCCBAAAABCDBBBBBBAAA4444@@BB?==A???A?<<444;40..../588633579<<../0009<<<<<::=988:////25 MD:Z:17G17T8A45G46T9C2A14A14T21A6A5T3A6GA8GCA4AA10C41T13G4^A27A5G4 NH:i:1 HI:i:1 NM:i:26 SM:i:40 XQ:i:40 X2:i:0 XS:A:?

bamToBed give me this result:
            gi|2281652|gb|AF004394.1| 17 8213 IP6FNQC01CAO42 40 +

and
            awk '{OFS="\t"; if (and($2, 16)) print $3,$4,$4+length($10),$1,$5,"-"; else print $3,$4,$4+length($10),$1,$5,"+" }'

give me:
            gi|2281652|gb|AF004394.1| 18 380 IP6FNQC01CAO42 40 +

in bamToBed result i have 8213, why ?

thank you --

Comment

The read is spliced (note 7841N in the CIGAR string), so bamToBed is correct.

Comment

yes but what's mean the second coordinate 8213 ?

Comment

The second value would be the end of where the read aligns.

Comment

okay i understand,
                    and is there a way to calculate the length of splicing region ?

Comment

Have a read through the SAM specification.

Comment

Is there a way I could extract a range, say [chr3,a,b] to a BED format from a BAM file?

Comment

How about samtools view to select the region of interest, and then bamtools bedtobam to convert the BAM file to the BED format?

You can pipe the output of samtools view directly to bedtobam.
                          Last edited by blancha; 11-14-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses