Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genometools parallel

Hi, I am using genometools and find it quite slow with an 1G fasta file.
    When running:
    $ gt suffixerator ...
    It simply used one cpu and was quite slow. Then I tried:
    $ gt -j 4 suffixerator ...
    But nothing changed.
    So I'm really confused whether gt could use parallel processors to accelerate working, just like RepeatMasker (who has -pa to set number of parallel processors)?

Originally posted by hugh_hang View Post
    Hi, I am using genometools and find it quite slow with an 1G fasta file.
    When running:
    $ gt suffixerator ...
    It simply used one cpu and was quite slow. Then I tried:
    $ gt -j 4 suffixerator ...
    But nothing changed.
    So I'm really confused whether gt could use parallel processors to accelerate working, just like RepeatMasker (who has -pa to set number of parallel processors)?
    I'm curious how you decided to use the "-j" option for gt suffixerator because I have never seen that and it does not appear to be documented. Depending on what task you are trying accomplish, there are ways of running jobs in parallel but I'm not aware of any genometools applications that will use multiple processors.

Comment

Originally posted by SES View Post
      I'm curious how you decided to use the "-j" option for gt suffixerator because I have never seen that and it does not appear to be documented. Depending on what task you are trying accomplish, there are ways of running jobs in parallel but I'm not aware of any genometools applications that will use multiple processors.
      I saw '-j' in LTRdigest User’s Manual where write:
      To run the protein domain search in a parallel fashion, use the -j parameter to gt to specify the number of concurrent threads to use:
      gt -j 3 ltrdigest [options] GFF3 file indexname
      I thought '-j' is an option of 'gt' command that can be added into all gt tools. Maybe I was so naive for it can only added into the command of 'gt ltrdigest'.

Comment

I don't know what genometools does, but maybe it would be possible to parallelize it with gnu parallel. Have a look here to get an idea how it works..
        savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
          I don't know what genometools does, but maybe it would be possible to parallelize it with gnu parallel. Have a look here to get an idea how it works..
          It is really awesome. I know what to do next, thanks!

Comment

I saw '-j' in LTRdigest User’s Manual where write:

I thought '-j' is an option of 'gt' command that can be added into all gt tools. Maybe I was so naive for it can only added into the command of 'gt ltrdigest'.
            LTRdigest uses HMMER for the protein domain search, so I think that "-j" option applies specifically to that routine of the LTRdigest tool.

Comment

Originally posted by SES View Post
              LTRdigest uses HMMER for the protein domain search, so I think that "-j" option applies specifically to that routine of the LTRdigest tool.
              Thanks, I suddenly realized.

Comment

Currently LTRdigest is the only tool to use the parallelization option -j for now, but that might change in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by sst View Post
                  Currently LTRdigest is the only tool to use the parallelization option -j for now, but that might change in the future.
                  do you know if the change will occur in the newest version in 2014?

Comment

do you know if the change will occur in the newest version in 2014?
                    Currently there are no plans multithreading the existing tools -- what I am saying is that there might be new tools using that option if they use multithreading -- sorry if my comment was misleading

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses