No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping with botwie/bwa

Hello!
    I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new in metagenomic and metatranscriptomic stuffs... I'd like to map my Hiseq shotgun metatranscriptomic reads to some reference genomes (I already know the microbial community composition, since I analysed 16S data), using botwie or bwa. The question is: do I have to map each sample to each genome? or is there a way to map to more genomes at the same time? And if not, how can I merge the multiple mapping files from the same sample, then?

Thanks a bunch
    Francesca

Originally posted by Francy87 View Post
    Hello!
    I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new in metagenomic and metatranscriptomic stuffs... I'd like to map my Hiseq shotgun metatranscriptomic reads to some reference genomes (I already know the microbial community composition, since I analysed 16S data), using botwie or bwa. The question is: do I have to map each sample to each genome? or is there a way to map to more genomes at the same time? And if not, how can I merge the multiple mapping files from the same sample, then?

Thanks a bunch
    Francesca
    No you wont have to map them separately. Create a multi-fasta file of all your reference sequences and then build the mapping index from that.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmybee View Post
      No you wont have to map them separately. Create a multi-fasta file of all your reference sequences and then build the mapping index from that.

Hi Jimmy,
      Thanks for your reply. Can I just 'cat' all the reference genomes together or should I modify them in some way?
      Thanks again
      Francesca

Comment

Cat them together, then you use bowtie-build or bwa index to make the index. Then you align.

Comment

Originally posted by Francy87 View Post
          Hi Jimmy,
          Thanks for your reply. Can I just 'cat' all the reference genomes together or should I modify them in some way?
          Thanks again
          Francesca
          Yeah no need to modify them.

Comment

Hi again!
            I downloaded some reference genomes from the ncbi ftp site (about 500). Is there a simple way to cat all of them recursevely without doing it one at the time? I have many directories, each one with one genome in .fna format...

Thanks

Comment

If all of the *.fna files are only buried one directory deep, then something like the following bash script should work:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash
              dirs=`find . -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d`
              for d in $dirs
              do
                  cat $d/*.fna >> genomes.fna
              done
              This could be modified to easily handle the presence of subdirectories.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses