Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Bowtie Index to get sequences using locations

We have the fasta files (obviously) for the hg19 genome, we used them to create a big Bowtie index.

I was hoping not to have to keep the fasta file. Instead just look up sequences in the Bowtie index when I get chromosome locations.

I know when the alignment comes back it tells me where the alignment occurs and which fasta record (header) that it came from. So all the info is there, but I can't figure out how to pull out a sequence given a location.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or know much about the index format (perhaps I could write a little program to fish out a sequence)?

Thanks

Originally posted by shawn.mek View Post
    We have the fasta files (obviously) for the hg19 genome, we used them to create a big Bowtie index.

I was hoping not to have to keep the fasta file. Instead just look up sequences in the Bowtie index when I get chromosome locations.

I know when the alignment comes back it tells me where the alignment occurs and which fasta record (header) that it came from. So all the info is there, but I can't figure out how to pull out a sequence given a location.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or know much about the index format (perhaps I could write a little program to fish out a sequence)?

Thanks
    You should be able to extract that information from the sam output. I've not used bowtie2-inspect before, but it could be what you are looking for.

Code:
    bowtie2-inspect
    No index name given!
    Bowtie 2 version 2.1.0 by Ben Langmead ([email protected], www.cs.jhu.edu/~langmea)
    Usage: bowtie2-inspect [options]* <bt2_base>
      <bt2_base>         bt2 filename minus trailing .1.bt2/.2.bt2

By default, prints FASTA records of the indexed nucleotide sequences to
      standard out.  With -n, just prints names.  With -s, just prints a summary of
      the index parameters and sequences.  With -e, preserves colors if applicable.

Options:
      -a/--across <int>  Number of characters across in FASTA output (default: 60)
      -n/--names         Print reference sequence names only
      -s/--summary       Print summary incl. ref names, lengths, index properties
      -e/--bt2-ref      Reconstruct reference from .bt2 (slow, preserves colors)
      -v/--verbose       Verbose output (for debugging)
      -h/--help          print detailed description of tool and its options
      --help             print this usage message

Comment

Just to clarify, I mean using the index - giving it a chromosome name (fasta header) and location numbers, and getting back a sequence.

I don't want to run an alignment, just pull out the sequence. So no SAM output.

For this I'm using bowtie, not bowtie2. But of bowtie2 can do this...

Thanks

Comment

The bowtie-inspect thing does get all the info out, but thats 3gb of info since I can't select a location

Comment

Although bowtie index essentially keeps the genome, I doubt it is optimized or designed for your purpose. Use faidx if you only want to retrieve a few regions.

Comment

I want to retrieve lots of regions efficiently, but thanks for pointing me to faidx, I'll see how it works.

Comment

If you really have a LOT of positions, then it's best to read the genome into memory. samtools faidx is great for a smallish number of sites, but it grabs the sequence from disk, making it a bit slow for a large number of queries.

Comment

yeah, I'm torn on holding it in memory or not. Toy with different workflows

Comment

Although bowtie index essentially keeps the genome, I doubt it is optimized or designed for your purpose.
                  The bowtie index is optimised for searching, but it's an overkill (and inefficient) for getting subsequences. If you want compressed indexed storage for just DNA sequence retrieval, then the 2bit format is probably best:

The code points to a way to retrieve ranges:

Code:
                  /* Parse a .2bit file and sequence spec into an object.
                   * The spec is a string in the form:
                   *    file/path/input.2bit[:seqSpec1][,seqSpec2,...]
                   * where seqSpec is either
                   *     seqName
                   *  or
                   *     seqName:start-end
                  So there's probably a program somewhere for getting subsequences out of that file using seqName:start-end notation.

edit: indeed, BLAT has such functions included. See here for a bit of discussion about 2bit retrieval using Perl:

Last edited by gringer; 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

If you just need to retrieve known regions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses