Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkeye too slow to use on laptop

I've seen some passing mention of Hawkeye being too slow, and that is my current dilemma. I installed the latest AMOS (3.1.0) successfully on Mac OS X 10.6.8, and even though I have 8 Gb of RAM, I find Hawkeye very slow. It stops for long periods to load reads (my ace file is 1.9 Gb). I like the functionality of Hawkeye (I am interested in checking assembly and correcting if needed), but I cannot put up with the slow performance when I want to scan contigs.
    The reason I tried Hawkeye was because Consed would not load the ace file (originally a velvet .afg file that I converted with amos2ace - but it does not work very well and gave up part way through the phd descriptions). I normally like to use consed, but I did not know how best to deal with the ace file errors, so I looked at AMOS/Hawkeye. Even Geneious would accept the ace file, so I guess Consed is being picky.
    I realise that the obvious solution to increase performance is to give up on a laptop and use better hardware, but I would first like to know if others have similar issues with Hawkeye - and if so, what solutions they found, if any. I note that Gap5 is very fast, so why is Hawkeye so slow?

Regards, Mike DS

Edit: so if Hawkeye is so slow with .afg files, why can't it open BAM files? I ended up using Tablet (had to convert the .afg to a BAM file). That runs fine on my laptop (macbook pro).
    Last edited by Mike DS; 12-15-2013, 12:41 PM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
    by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
    Today, 07:15 AM
  • seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:18 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:04 AM
0 responses