Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @jweger1988: I second @HESmith's suggestion.

Create a new thread with any errors or problems you have encountered with annotation programs.

Much as we love BBMap suite there are always going to be things that you will need to use a different program for functionality not available in BBMap suite.

Comment

• @HESmith, you weren't being a jerk at all. It's a fair point.

I've created a new thread. http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...975#post207975. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

• Hi Brian,

I've been using kmercountexact and it's been very useful to give me the kmers with their counts.

I'm wondering if any of your tools has the capability to give me a list of all of the kmers present at given length regardless of being unique or not. Basically a list that would also include the redundant kmers without counts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

• For K=3 and the input file:

Code:
          >
          AAAAA
          You would want an output file:

Code:
          >
          AAA
          >
          AAA
          >
          AAA
          Is that correct? I don't have anything that will do that; sorry. What did you want to use it for?

Comment

• Thanks for the reply. That is correct.

I have a virus that I introduced some degenerate nucleotides in to track bottlenecks.

I suppose I could just reformat to the area of the read I'm interested in and then just convert to fasta and use that.

Comment

• Hi - I love that bbmap and its tools can directly make bam files. I noticed that it's using samtools with 8 threads. Is there a way to increase the number of threads?

Thanks

Comment

• Oh, yep, for some reason I capped it at 8 threads. I wonder why? I'll eliminate that cap in the next release, which will probably be sometime today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                  Oh, yep, for some reason I capped it at 8 threads. I wonder why? I'll eliminate that cap in the next release, which will probably be sometime today.
                  How about tying the number to the number of threads specified for BBMap? That way we know that many threads are available.
                  Last edited by GenoMax; 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                    How about tying the number to the number of threads specified for BBMap? That way we know that many threads are available.
                    It is tied to the number of threads defined for BBMap, just for some reason I capped it at a max of 8 even if the main process was allowed to use more; probably to conserve memory. I've increased it to a max of 64.

Comment

It is tied to the number of threads defined for BBMap, just for some reason I capped it at a max of 8 even if the main process was allowed to use more; probably to conserve memory. I've increased it to a max of 64.
                      Thanks- that helps a lot!

Comment

• bbmap fast macro?

Hi Brian,
                        I have a lot of reference sequences I'm mapping to (~11 million) and want to eek out as much as speed as possible.

I'm mostly looking for close matches - ex. I set minid to 0.97. Will setting fast still find matches like that? Any other thoughts on what I can set to get more speed?

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

• Originally posted by darthsequencer View Post
                          Hi Brian,
                          I have a lot of reference sequences I'm mapping to (~11 million)
                          How long are the query sequences?

Comment

• To maximize speed when you are not looking for low-identity matches, "fast" (plus your identity threshold) is generally adequate. You can also speed it up by reducing "maxindel" (fast sets it to 80). Quality-trimming and adapter-trimming generally increase alignment speed.

With a large reference you may be able to increase speed with "k=14" instead of the default "k=13" - this increases the time to load the reference and memory usage, but increases mapping speed (so whether the process becomes faster or slower depends on how long it takes to load the reference compared to how much data you have to map). Also, turning off mate rescue (rescue=f) or reducing rescuedist (fast defaults to rescuedist=800) can also increase the speed slightly. Note that all of these options reduce sensitivity (aside from trimming which increases it), but at 97% identity you only need very low sensitivity anyway.
                            Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              How long are the query sequences?
                              They range between 50bp single end to 2 x 250bp

Comment

To maximize speed when you are not looking for low-identity matches, "fast" (plus your identity threshold) is generally adequate. You can also speed it up by reducing "maxindel" (fast sets it to 80). Quality-trimming and adapter-trimming generally increase alignment speed.

With a large reference you may be able to increase speed with "k=14" instead of the default "k=13" - this increases the time to load the reference and memory usage, but increases mapping speed (so whether the process becomes faster or slower depends on how long it takes to load the reference compared to how much data you have to map). Also, turning off mate rescue (rescue=f) or reducing rescuedist (fast defaults to rescuedist=800) can also increase the speed slightly. Note that all of these options reduce sensitivity (aside from trimming which increases it), but at 97% identity you only need very low sensitivity anyway.
                                Thanks that's helpful. On the note of loading references - is there a way to use wildcards with the input and output of bbwrap?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses