Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bio_informatics
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 182

    #1

    getopts in python

    I am new to python, have been working in perl. I am trying to implement getopts in python, but I am failing to understand it.


    I have the below code:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/python
    
    from Bio import SeqIO
    import sys, getopt
    
    def main(argv):
       
       for i in argv:
        print "This is in for loop "+i
       
       listfile = ''
       pdbfile = ''
       
       try:
          opts, args = getopt.getopt(argv,"pdb:list:",["pfile=","lfile="])
       except getopt.GetoptError:
          print 'check.py -pdb <pdbfile> -list <listfile>'
          
          sys.exit(2)
       for opt, arg in opts:
          
          if opt in ("-pdb","--pfile"):
             pdbfile = arg
             
          if opt in ("-list","--lfile"):
             listfile = arg
       print 'Input file is "', listfile
       print 'Output file is "', pdbfile
    
    if __name__ == "__main__":
       main(sys.argv[1:])
    I run it as:
    ./check.py -pdb ~/Documents/pdb/pdb_seqres.txt -list ~/Documents/pdb/list.txt
    The output I get is:
    This is in for loop -pdb
    This is in for loop /home/sariya/Documents/pdb/pdb_seqres.txt
    This is in for loop -list
    This is in for loop /home/sariya/Documents/pdb/list.txt
    Input file is "
    Output file is "
    when I print arg, I get blank. so it tells me there is not value passed in arg. Why?

    So my pdbfile and listfile are getting blank.
    Please guide.
    Bioinformaticscally calm
  • blancha
    Senior Member
    • May 2013
    • 367

    #2
    You may have your reasons to prefer using the getopts module, but I really like the argparse module, especially in Python 3.4.

    Very simple, intuitive and powerful.

    Comment

    • R.W.W.Brouwer
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 1

      #3
      In the Python getopts module, short arguments are a single character by default.

      so
      > opts, args = getopt.getopt(argv,"pdb:list:",["pfile=","lfile="])

      should be:
      > opts, args = getopt.getopt(argv,"p:l:",["pfile=","lfile="])

      And your assignment should be then become:

      > if opt in ("-p","--pfile"):
      and
      > if opt in ("-l","--lfile"):

      The drawback of using argparse is that this module is not standard in Python 2.6.
      Last edited by R.W.W.Brouwer; 05-01-2014, 11:49 PM. Reason: typos, typos and more typos

      Comment

      • bio_informatics
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2013
        • 182

        #4
        @R.W.W.Brouwer - Thank you for pointing out the issue. I didn't know about single character.

        @blancha - I didn't know for argparse. I will try that too.
        Bioinformaticscally calm

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        10 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        32 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...