Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #31
    Yeah, they'll take a while to get generated.

    Comment

    • simobioinfo
      Member
      • Aug 2014
      • 40

      #32
      Hi... now 24 hours are passed and indexing is still running on my MAc (see previous post of this thread). What can I do now? My processor is dual core... I have to insert an option into the command line to take into account that processor has 2 core?

      Comment

      • dpryan
        Devon Ryan
        • Jul 2011
        • 3478

        #33
        24 hours seems excessive. Can you see it still using one of your cores? I don't think the indexing can be run multi-core. What species are you trying to index? Perhaps one of us can just create and post the indices so you can download them.

        Comment

        • GenoMax
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 7142

          #34
          simobioinfo is indexing GRCh37/human. If bandwidth is not a problem then you can download the preformatted bundle (sequence, indexes and annotations) from this link: http://support.illumina.com/sequenci...e/igenome.html

          @simobioinfo: This is the sort of thing I was trying to warn you about in terms of user experience.

          @Devon: If you have indexes for that known to work on a Mac you could post them for simobioinfo.

          Comment

          • dpryan
            Devon Ryan
            • Jul 2011
            • 3478

            #35
            I'll give it a whirl on my macbook pro, but it's rather old and low on RAM. Assuming that doesn't work, on Tuesday I'll be back in the office and just use one of our beefier Macs if this isn't resolved by then.

            Comment

            • biocomputer
              Member
              • Dec 2013
              • 62

              #36
              Originally posted by simobioinfo View Post
              Hi... now 24 hours are passed and indexing is still running on my MAc (see previous post of this thread). What can I do now? My processor is dual core... I have to insert an option into the command line to take into account that processor has 2 core?
              How much RAM does this Mac have? If you look at my previous post you'll see where I said that if you don't have enough RAM it will take very, very long to build in the index. To build the human genome you probably need 5-6GB but you will have to monitor RAM usage as the index is building to know for sure. And it doesn't matter how many cores you have Bowtie2-build is a single process.

              Comment

              • simobioinfo
                Member
                • Aug 2014
                • 40

                #37
                Originally posted by biocomputer View Post
                How much RAM does this Mac have? If you look at my previous post you'll see where I said that if you don't have enough RAM it will take very, very long to build in the index. To build the human genome you probably need 5-6GB but you will have to monitor RAM usage as the index is building to know for sure. And it doesn't matter how many cores you have Bowtie2-build is a single process.
                My mac has 4Gb of RAM. I suppose that it could be enough to build index. I don't know how to check ram usage.

                Comment

                • dpryan
                  Devon Ryan
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 3478

                  #38
                  I was able to build the index on another machine and use it on my macbook pro with 3 gigs of RAM. I really wouldn't recommend doing this on a machine with that little RAM as you end up swapping all the time. Since you have more RAM than my old laptop, hopefully you'll get better performance. I'll post the indices later today and send you a link.

                  Comment

                  • dpryan
                    Devon Ryan
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 3478

                    #39
                    @simbioinfo: I just sent you a PM with some links to the bowtie2 indices that worked on my Mac. Let me know if they work for you.

                    Comment

                    • simobioinfo
                      Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • 40

                      #40
                      Thank you everybody. I was on vacation. I will try soon indexes you sent me

                      Comment

                      Latest Articles

                      Collapse

                      • SEQadmin2
                        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                        by SEQadmin2


                        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                        ...
                        09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
                      • SEQadmin2
                        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                        by SEQadmin2




                        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                      ad_right_rmr

                      Collapse

                      News

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
                      0 responses
                      12 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                      0 responses
                      35 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                      0 responses
                      28 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                      1 response
                      48 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post pekgio
                      by pekgio
                       
                      Working...