Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dan
    wiki wiki
    • Jul 2008
    • 194

    #1

    LastGen Assembly

    Hi, apfejes

    Thanks for your reply (below). I thought I would shift this discussion from the 'Introductions' section to a new post here, seeing as it gets into some specifics...

    Originally posted by apfejes View Post
    Hi Dan, welcome to SEQanswers.

    I'll take a quick shot at answering your first question, though I should mention that this forum, in general, is for people using the Next-Gen platforms, so this might be the wrong place to be asking these questions. (I've never really done any serious capillary based sequencing or assembly.) Regardless, we're all friendly here, I believe, and I'm certain that some of the members migrated to the next-gen after years on the "Big Dye chemistry" platforms. Hopefully one of them will chime in and give you better answers than I can.

    Originally posted by dan View Post
    OK, its not that bad, I do have the broad idea, but where can I find out more? What books should I be reading? Which websites have the best information? How does this kind of sequencing compare to NextGen sequencing in terms of speed, throughput, cost, coverage, de-novo 'assemble-ability', etc?
    If you're asking about non-Next-Gen sequencing, you're basically referring to all of the sequencing done before the next-gen platforms arrived in 2006/2007. If you pick up any reasonable molecular biology or biotech textbook, it'll probably have a few paragraphs on it. (Look up Dideoxy or Sanger DNA sequencing for the chemistry, and capillary sequencing for the machines. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a few hundred web pages on it - there are nearly a million on capillary sequencing.

    In terms of cost, Sanger sequencing can be an order of magnitude (or more) expensive per base, but has some very good features: It's accurate, it's targeted (using primer pairs) and is a trusted method. The key is that it's not competing with Next-Gen sequencing - they have very different applications. Now that Next-Gen is available, I don't think it's particularly cost effective to sequence a genome using Sanger sequencing, but it has been done (eg. the human genome), although pretty much everyone doing next gen work will use Sanger sequencing to verify any predictions they make.

    Generally, I would sum it up as this: Sanger sequencing is used to look at a single site of dna, (eg, a BAC) with great specificity and for reads of about 1000bp in length. Next-Gen sequencing is more of the "pick X million random locations" type (length and number of sequences depend on the technology used), which wouldn't make sense if you wanted to look at a single BAC.

    (Or course, if you have access to next-gen sequencing, you wouldn't be making a BAC library in the first place.)

    As for information, I suspect another good place to start is pubmed. Papers before 2006 will all be discussing how they did assembly with this type of sequencing information. I'm certain there are many applications out there to assist in this task. Their manuals would also be full of helpful hints.

    Hopefully that's enough to get you pointed in the right direction, though I've left most of your questions unanswered.

    Good luck
    No problem! Its great to get the information. I think the existing BAC library (including BAC end sequences) [REF] in addition to an 'Ultra high density genetic map' [REF] in potato has kept the consortium on the path of 'LastGen', however, there is the possibility of combining approaches to help finish the project.

    Coincidentally(?) I got an email from Bioinformatics World Wide with the following two very useful publications:


    Within these I found the following useful citations


    I thought I would post the above back to the forum in case people find themselves in a similar situation (i.e. having to understand LastGen data in a NextGen community :-)

    Thanks again for your help,

    Dan.
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    Today, 10:25 AM
  • SEQadmin2
    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
    by SEQadmin2




    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
27 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
45 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...