• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Fernas View Post
    Thanks very much Brian.

I downloaded BBMap and when I tried to run (bbcountunique.ssh) I got the following error "Exception in thread main java.lang.unsupportedclassversionerror: jgi/Calcuniqueness"

I downloaded a new version of jre but I am wondering how to use it with the code? do I need to modify the code or the path variable? do I need to download another file?
    Assuming you downloaded a Java 7 JRE, and installed it, the program should just work. If you are still getting the same error, then the JRE was not installed correctly; you can resolve that by editing your PATH variable to remove the path to the old java executable (on our system, it is "/usr/common/usg/languages/java/jdk/oracle/1.7.0_51_x86_64/bin/") and put in the path to the new java executable. Alternately, you can edit the shellscript "bbcountunique.sh". Line 80, 5 lines from the bottom, is:

local CMD="java $EA $z -cp $CP jgi.CalcUniqueness $@"

If your new java executable is at, say, "/usr/jdk/oracle/1.7.0_51_x86_64/bin/java", then you would just change that line to:

local CMD="/usr/jdk/oracle/1.7.0_51_x86_64/bin/java $EA $z -cp $CP jgi.CalcUniqueness $@"

If you can't figure out how to install the new jre or don't have the proper permissions, then run "java -version" and copy and paste the output into this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Fernas
    replied
    Thanks very much Brian.

I downloaded BBMap and when I tried to run (bbcountunique.ssh) I got the following error "Exception in thread main java.lang.unsupportedclassversionerror: jgi/Calcuniqueness"

I downloaded a new version of jre but I am wondering how to use it with the code? do I need to modify the code or the path variable? do I need to download another file?

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    Originally posted by luc View Post
    Thanks Brian ! Once more!
    You're welcome

Leave a comment:

• luc
    replied
    Thanks Brian ! Once more!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    I have a program for plotting library uniqueness as you go through the reads. The graphs look like this:

It works by pulling kmers from each input read, and testing whether it has been seen before, then storing it in a table.

The bottom line, "first", tracks whether the first kmer of the read has been seen before (independent of whether it is read 1 or read 2).

The top line, "pair", indicates whether a combined kmer from both read 1 and read 2 has been seen before. The other lines are generally safe to ignore but they track other things, like read1- or read2-specific data, and random kmers versus the first kmer.

It plots a point every X reads (configurable, default 25000).

In noncumulative mode (default), a point indicates "for the last X reads, this percentage had never been seen before". In this mode, once the line hits zero, sequencing more is not useful.

In cumulative mode, a point indicates "for all reads, this percentage had never been seen before", but still only one point is plotted per X reads.

Sample command line:

bbcountunique.sh in=reads.fq out=histogram.txt

Note that the lines are not perfectly smooth; the little peaks are caused by high-error tiles. But it's still useful in that it allows assessment of a library that lacks a reference.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 12-10-2014, 06:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• How to plot the Saturation curves to assess the sequencing depth?

Dear all,

I want to know if there is a tool or ready-script that I can use to plot the Saturation (Rarefaction) plot in order to assess the sequencing depth of the sequenced libraries that I have.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses