• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie Index Question

Dear all,

I have a short question about bowtie index:

What is the difference between these two mouse index:

M. musculus, UCSC mm9 and M. musculus, NCBI v37

Sorry for this, but just have no clue the difference between them.

Many thanks!
    Wei

Hi Wei,

They contain the same sequences, but use different sequence names. mm9 uses the UCSC naming scheme, with names like "chr1", "chr2", etc. NCBI v37 uses the NCBI naming scheme, with names like "gi|149288852|ref|NC_000067.5|NC_000067", "gi|149288852|ref|NC_000067.5|NC_000068", etc.

Thanks,
    Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for your reply and explanation!

They were built from the same assembly: NCBI m37 mouse assembly (April 2007, strain C57BL/6J) (which is also called UCSC version mm9), right?

And another question is these two prebuilt index were built from which version chromosome sequence Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.56 or Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.57 (according to Ensemble)? Because I have run Tophat with mm9 prebuilt index, and then I need each chromosome sequence to run other downstream program. But on Ensemble, the chromosome version has been updated from Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.56 to Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.57. In order to keep consistent with mm9 index, which version chromosome I should use?

Thank you Ben!

Wei

Comment

Originally posted by Wei-HD View Post
        They were built from the same assembly: NCBI m37 mouse assembly (April 2007, strain C57BL/6J) (which is also called UCSC version mm9), right?
        Right.

Originally posted by Wei-HD View Post
        And another question is these two prebuilt index were built from which version chromosome sequence Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.56 or Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.57 (according to Ensemble)? Because I have run Tophat with mm9 prebuilt index, and then I need each chromosome sequence to run other downstream program. But on Ensemble, the chromosome version has been updated from Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.56 to Mus_musculus.NCBIM37.57. In order to keep consistent with mm9 index, which version chromosome I should use?
        According to those filenames, they should both be compatible with NBCI37/mm9 (that's what the "NCBIM37" part denotes). In fact, Ensembl versions going back to 47 seem to be compatible with NBCI37; you have to go back to 46 before it changes to NCBI36.

Thanks,
        Ben

Comment

Thank you very much Ben!

Best,
          Wei

Comment

Hi,

I have a question about bowtie index, I though this is the right forum to post it.

What exactly bowtie indexes?
            I've read :

BWT (same size as T)
            Checkpoints (~15% size of T)
            SA sample (~50% size of T)

I understand the BWT and Checkpoints, but what is SA sample?

Thanks

--- problem solved, thanks
            Last edited by Ms@New; 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses