Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool(s) for calculating depth and genome coverage

I am looking for a tool that can take my BAM files and spit out the following information:

1. Mean depth across the entire genome
    2. Percent of genome covered at a specified depth, or preferably multiple specified depths (i.e. 10X, 20X, 30X etc).

I'm not a great command line jockey, so a tool that can be installed in Galaxy would be great, but if not, then I can muddle my way through it on the command line.

Thanks!

Any topic/question that does not fit into the subcategories below. If you're unsure of where to put something, ask in here!

Comment

I've got Bedtools Genome Coverage working in Galaxy now, but the output is confusing. It seems to pick randomly-sized intervals and report a coverage value across that interval. Example output below:

chr 3 6 2
      chr 6 13 3
      chr 13 14 5
      chr 14 16 6
      chr 16 25 8
      chr 25 27 10
      chr 27 29 12
      chr 29 32 15
      chr 32 47 16
      chr 47 60 18
      chr 60 72 19
      chr 72 84 21

Really, all I want is a single number: mean depth across the entire genome. Is there a simple way to get this number using this tool?

Comment

There are multiple solutions here but you will need to leave the confines of galaxy and work on the command line: https://www.biostars.org/p/5165/

Comment

You can calculate it yourself quite easily, if you have fixed-length reads - (#mapped reads)*(read length)/(genome size).

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
            You can calculate it yourself quite easily, if you have fixed-length reads - (#mapped reads)*(read length)/(genome size).
            Not fixed length, unfortunately. They've been adapter and quality trimmed, although your method would still give me an estimate.

I actually found from reading another thread on here that the easiest way for me was to just load the BAMs into Qualimap and look at the summary page, as Qualimap calculates that value as part of its analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              There are multiple solutions here but you will need to leave the confines of galaxy and work on the command line: https://www.biostars.org/p/5165/
              I found this same thread on Biostars. I was going to try out some of the suggestions there when I read the very last entry about Qualimap. Since I needed these numbers fairly quickly, I just used that, but I'm going to try out come of the command line options for future use, because Qualimap does do batches very well.

Comment

GATK DepthOfCoverage is command line but very easy to use and well documented on their site. Beyond that I normally use custom scripts based on a pile up. All of these options will require a lot of RAM for a whole genome, so if you can use an interval list/bed file that'll makes things much easier/faster.
                LM

Comment

Bedtools Genomecoveragebed Usage : How To do per base coverage analysis for only chr2

Hey for a specific chromosome number how to do coverage analysis for input bam file using bedtools and GATK tools

Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses