Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • luxmare
    replied
    Hi Torst,
    Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. Quality scores of deletions is informative. But if the pileup format (made by BWA->SAMtools) was designed based on the IDEA you said, inserted bases should have base quality scores. Actually, however, inserted bases don't have qualities as below. I'm confusing...


    chr3 7759 C 4 ..,, SO]^
    chr3 7760 C 4 .+1G.,, \\\[ <-- 4 ref-type bases and 1 insertion, but only 4 qualities
    chr3 7761 G 4 ..,, GT[a

    Leave a comment:


  • Torst
    replied
    Originally posted by luxmare View Post
    I know that asterisks '*' in read bases column represent deletions as place holders in pileup format. But in my data, deletion '*' seems to has base quality score. why deleted bases have base qualities?
    I don't know how samtools handles this particularly, but the IDEA of giving a deletion a "quality score" is good. A quality score is essentially just a logarithm of a "probability of error" or "probability that this is wrong". So you can interpret it as a statistical confidence of the deletion being real.

    Leave a comment:


  • epigen
    replied
    The base quality is also a place holder just as the * in the reads column.

    I found similar occurrences in my data (created with samtools pileup -vcf), e.g.

    chr14 65392038 T A 0 0 0 1 * W

    Note that the weird consensus A must result from a floating underflow in the MAQ SNP calling model (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...?title=SAM_FAQ). Although the FAQ answer says that this only happens in repetitive regions, the reference T is upper case and I just checked again in the UCSC Genome Browser for hg19 that there is no repeat. So I guess the reason is that there is only one read.

    Leave a comment:


  • luxmare
    started a topic deletion '*' has quality score in pileup?

    deletion '*' has quality score in pileup?

    I know that asterisks '*' in read bases column represent deletions as place holders in pileup format. But in my data, deletion '*' seems to has base quality score. why deleted bases have base qualities?

    In this example, there are 6 bases and 1 deletion at the site 25, and the number of base qualities is 7. Can I simply ignore the base quality 'a' corresponding to the deleted base?

    chr1 24 g 7 ,..,-1t.,, ``a]bb\
    chr1 25 t 7 ,..*.,, b[baaa`
    chr1 26 t 7 ,..,.,, a_baa]_

    Thanks in advance.

    FYI:

    I constructed pileup file by using the following command

    $ ./samtools-0.1.7a/samtools pileup -f reference.fa <in.bam> > <out.pileup>

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    09-28-2026, 10:25 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
52 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...