Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plz help me guys.. give me some reply...

Comment

It may be a good idea to try a subset of your data (select a few large contigs and/or a known sequence with the right repeats) before you start running a large genome file through some of these tools. Depending of the size of data set the run times can increase logarithmically.

Comment

Thank You.. GenoMax

I did that and i got the result. I have one more problem
        I have installed repeatmodeler. But when i am building database it is showing error

./BuildDatabase -name test test.fa

RepModelConfig.pm did not return a true value at ./BuildDatabase line 146.
        BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./BuildDatabase line 146.

Can you tell me why the error is coming?

Comment

Originally posted by tnguyen View Post
          Hi Rahul,

How large was your genome? How much memory was needed for your run? I received this error message at the start of Step 2:

"Could not allocate space for sequence"
          Please change the code in build_repeat_families.c

sequence = (char *) malloc( (2 * MAXLENGTH + 3 * PADLENGTH) * sizeof(char) );
          if( NULL == sequence ) {
          fprintf(stderr, "Could not allocate space for sequence\n");
          exit(1);
          }

to

sequence = (char *) malloc( (2 * (size_t)MAXLENGTH + 3 * (size_t)PADLENGTH) * sizeof(char) );
          if( NULL == sequence ) {
          fprintf(stderr, "Could not allocate space for sequence\n");
          exit(1);
          }

otherwise calculation of big numbers (files more than about 1 GB) are not correct and results in much much bigger memory allocations than neccessary. I had this situation previously under FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris. That change helped me to overcome this allocation error... Actually it is running under FreeBSD :-)

Cheers, sunnyseq

Comment

Hi guys, I still have the same problem that people in this list previously had.

I followed the suggestions above and here is my command for running the step 2 of the RepeatScout:

RepeatScout
            -sequence genome.fasta
            -output genome_repeat.fasta
            -freq genome.freq
            -l 14

I get this error : "Could not allocate space for sequence" .

I ran the test file and its running, so the installation is not a problem. Although I realized that the genome.fasta file in the test is only one concensus fasta sequence. However, my genome.fasta is an assembly containing multiple contigs but in fasta format. I should also add that I am giving a big time memory to the machine, so I doubt that its a problem.

Anybody has suggestion.

Thanks a lot, Solidether

Comment

Originally posted by solidether View Post
              Hi guys, I still have the same problem that people in this list previously had.

I followed the suggestions above and here is my command for running the step 2 of the RepeatScout:

RepeatScout
              -sequence genome.fasta
              -output genome_repeat.fasta
              -freq genome.freq
              -l 14

I get this error : "Could not allocate space for sequence" .

I ran the test file and its running, so the installation is not a problem. Although I realized that the genome.fasta file in the test is only one concensus fasta sequence. However, my genome.fasta is an assembly containing multiple contigs but in fasta format. I should also add that I am giving a big time memory to the machine, so I doubt that its a problem.

Anybody has suggestion.

Thanks a lot, Solidether
              I have the same experience. It happens with genomes bigger than roughly 2 GB. The problem, I guess is with the allocation within RepeatScout itself. You can give it any RAM memory you want, but I think one of the variables is wrongly declared, so it cannot contain any more data. So I guess it's a bug.

Comment

The error message ""Could not allocate space for sequence"

The error message ""Could not allocate space for sequence" :
                The reason for this error is in the RepeatScout software itself.

In the source code file "build_repeat_families.c" there are two
                steps where memory allocation is done with command:
                malloc( (2 * MAXLENGTH + 3 * PADLENGTH) * sizeof(char) )

This command tries to allocate proper amount of memory, based on the size of your input file. However, for some reason the allocation fails when the input file size is more than 2 GB.

I don't know enough about programming with C to say, why there is
                this limit of 2 GB. Anyhow, for testing purposes I created a modified RepeatScout version (RepeatScout_fixmem) where the memory
                allocation is allways 5 GB. ( malloc( 5000000000 ) )

After these modifications I was able to run the repeatscout analysis.

Comment

It's probably because ((2 * MAXLENGTH + 3 * PADLENGTH) * sizeof(char) ) is a signed int. I suspect casting the terms as 64-bit integers would work.

Comment

Originally posted by solidether View Post
                    The error message ""Could not allocate space for sequence" :
                    The reason for this error is in the RepeatScout software itself.

In the source code file "build_repeat_families.c" there are two
                    steps where memory allocation is done with command:
                    malloc( (2 * MAXLENGTH + 3 * PADLENGTH) * sizeof(char) )

This command tries to allocate proper amount of memory, based on the size of your input file. However, for some reason the allocation fails when the input file size is more than 2 GB.

I don't know enough about programming with C to say, why there is
                    this limit of 2 GB. Anyhow, for testing purposes I created a modified RepeatScout version (RepeatScout_fixmem) where the memory
                    allocation is allways 5 GB. ( malloc( 5000000000 ) )

After these modifications I was able to run the repeatscout analysis.
                    I've changed three instances of this allocation, two in build_repeat_families.c and one in build_lmer_table. While I no longer see the allocation error, build_lmer_table finishes almost immediately, with:

Done allocating headptr
                    Done building headptr
                    There are 0 l-mers
                    Done sorting headptr
                    OOPS no good lmers

Any ideas?

Comment

hello evryone i have an error when i write the second command of RepeatScout if anyone have an idea please share

$ ./RepeatScout -sequence Ca_dromedarius_kacst.fna -output output_repeats -freq output -l 14

RepeatScout(9531,0x7fff9faf2380) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=18446744073479073792) failed (error code=3)
                      *** error: can't allocate region
                      *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                      Could not allocate space for sequence

Comment

Hello. I know that is an old thread but I don't find people able to answer.
                        I'm running Repeatscout. I built the l-mer table called myfile.freq of myfile.fa
                        Can anyone tell me what do they mean the second and third columns produced as output?
                        here I report an example:

```
                        AAAAAAAAGCGGGA 3 107776875
                        AAAAAAACTGTATG 10 83440519
                        AAAAAAAAGGCGTA 3 41037187
                        AAAAAAACTTGAAT 7 94493612
                        CATACATGCATGCA 1065 125671338
                        CATACATGCTTGAA 7 121799834
                        AAAAAAATCATGCA 10 95493021
                        AAAAAAAGTCCAGT 3 125127980
                        AATTCACATGTATG 7 102505668
                        ```
                        Thank you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses