No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visualizing with samtools?

Hi,

I have some difficulties in manipulating BWA and samtools.
    I have sorted my alignment stored in the .bam file, and indexed it (so I have a .bma and a .bam.bai).
    To visualize the sequences, I've tried to use commands like view or pileup, but I find it very difficult to manipulate.

Is there a way to view the alignment (I've tried IGV, but I haven't been able to see the reads, only the reference genome) user-friendlier?
    Or maybe I used the wrong input when using samtools...

Thanks in advance, I'm very new to bioinformatic...

Give Tablet a go - http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet

We've tried to make it as easy to use as possible (although there's always room for improvement, so if something doesn't make sense, just let us know).

Iain
    Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Comment

I have a few questions...
        It seems like the soft only take into account the reads that map with the part of genome in the area of the viewing bar. Can I change it so that all the reads that map with chr2, for example, could be counted even if the whole chr2 isn't displayed?
        Plus, reads are not always shown in the overview due to the scale... they are, as a consequence, difficult to locate. Is there some command to reach a read directly, avoiding me to manually search it? Or at least, maybe I can zoom in the overview so that i can locate a read more easily, have a look at it and then zoom out in the overview while keeping having the read aligned on the screen...?

I've read the user guide, but couldn't find those informations.
        Last edited by Adamo; 06-14-2010, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamo View Post
          I have a few questions...
          It seems like the soft only take into account the reads that map with the part of genome in the area of the viewing bar. Can I change it so that all the reads that map with chr2, for example, could be counted even if the whole chr2 isn't displayed?
          That's because of the way BAM files work - they're designed so you can just peek at small parts of a massive data set without having to load everything into memory, but that means you don't know how many reads are associated with a contig unless you read all of it. Tablet doesn't do that unless you tell it to (by adjusting the BAM window width), and even then it can only give you details on the current contig and not the others.

If your data isn't that large (ie < 1GB), convert it back to sam and Tablet will process the entire file in one go. It'll take longer to load, but it'll give you the information you're after.

Plus, reads are not always shown in the overview due to the scale... they are, as a consequence, difficult to locate.
          It's an overview - nothing more. Ultimately you can't fit 1,000,000 pixels into 500, so something has to be lost. If you want to zoom the overview for more detail for a given region, then just CTRL+drag on it to highlight the section to zoom. You might also find using the Coverage overview more useful.

Is there some command to reach a read directly, avoiding me to manually search it? Or at least, maybe I can zoom in the overview so that i can locate a read more easily, have a look at it and then zoom out in the overview while keeping having the read aligned on the screen...?
          You can either search for a read by name, or use the "Jump To" option to move the display to a given location.

Iain

Comment

I tried the linux version and completed the installation.
            How to open the tool. The following directories are available after the installation.

Code:
            uninstall
            tablet
            jre
            docs
            lib
            utils
            tablet.vmoptions
            output.log
            I tried opening as in the command line./tablet But nothing happenes and i get the output log as below:

Code:
            java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
                    at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
                    at com.install4j.runtime.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
            Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException: 
            No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
                    at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getMenuShortcutKeyMask(Unknown Source)
                    at tablet.gui.Tablet.<clinit>(Tablet.java:33)
                    ... 6 more
            java.awt.HeadlessException: 
            No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
                    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(Unknown Source)
                    at java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at com.exe4j.runtime.util.InternalErrorFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.handleFailure(Unknown Source)
                    at java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at com.exe4j.runtime.util.InternalErrorFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.handleFailure(Unknown Source)
            Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException: 
                    at java.awt.Button.<init>(Unknown Source)
                    at com.install4j.runtime.util.MessageBox.addChoice(Unknown Source)
                    at com.install4j.runtime.util.MessageBox.addChoice(Unknown Source)
                    at com.install4j.runtime.ErrorHandler.displayGuiErrorMessage(Unknown Source)
                    at com.install4j.runtime.ErrorHandler.reportError(Unknown Source)

Comment

That looks like you don't have x-windows. Do you?

Iain

Comment

Originally posted by imilne View Post
                That's because of the way BAM files work - they're designed so you can just peek at small parts of a massive data set without having to load everything into memory, but that means you don't know how many reads are associated with a contig unless you read all of it.

You can either search for a read by name, or use the "Jump To" option to move the display to a given location.

Iain
                Ok, I didn't know how a BAM file worked... I understand now, sorry for the question.
                I'll follow your advices. An ACE file seems appropriate for the data i'm interested in.

Comment

Ok, I didn't know how a BAM file worked... I understand now, sorry for the question.
                  I'll follow your advices. An ACE file seems appropriate for the data i'm interested in.
                  It's one of the areas where Tablet problem isn't very clear. We're hoping to make some improvements for the next version.

As for comments or questions, they're always appreciated by us, no matter how trivial they may seem. Often it's the only way we know we're doing things right (or not!)

Iain

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses