Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • EricSchon
    Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 10

    #1

    When is repeat masking necessary?

    Hi all

    I am planning to work on some comparative genomics where I look at secondary metabolite biosynthetic genes in multiple species of the same genus. I am planning fetch the genomes from jgi, but I am not sure wether I should use the masked or unmasked versions.

    The software tools I am planning to use do alignments and apply HMMs to the genome. I will probably also do other comparative analysis later so I wonder:

    - For my purpose doing alignments/HMMs is masked or unmasked better?
    - Is it possible to say in general for which kind of analysis masked/unmasked genomes are better? When is it important to be aware of which one to use?

    Thanks!
  • Brian Bushnell
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2014
    • 2709

    #2
    I recommend strictly avoiding the masked genomes. I do not think repeat masking is ever necessary. And particularly, there's no description of exactly how or why the genomes were masked, which makes it doubly important to avoid the masked versions.

    Incidentally, I work at JGI

    Comment

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • SEQadmin2
      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
      by SEQadmin2


      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
      ...
      Yesterday, 10:25 AM
    • SEQadmin2
      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
      by SEQadmin2




      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

    ad_right_rmr

    Collapse

    News

    Collapse

    Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
    0 responses
    8 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
    0 responses
    31 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    27 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
    1 response
    47 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Working...