No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPAdes: erroneous kmer threshold

Hello Members,

I'm working with E. coli, paired end, Illumina data. Using SPAdes 3.5 version.
    SLURM Environment. 128 gb RAM node.

I checked out QUAST report for one of isolate which was alarmingly high for an E. coli:- 6.592727 mb, with 918 contigs (1000>= bp).

Code:
    zcat file_R1_001.fastq.gz | awk '{if(NR%4==2) print length($1)} ' | head -1
    Read length: 103

I traced back to warnings.log file for its assembly run, it says:

=== Error correction and assembling warnings:
    * 0:03:13.851 484M / 9G WARN General (kmer_coverage_model.cpp : 327) Valley value was estimated improperly, reset to 1
    * 0:02:26.558 620M / 9G WARN General (kmer_coverage_model.cpp : 327) Valley value was estimated improperly, reset to 4
    * 0:02:26.565 620M / 9G WARN General (kmer_coverage_model.cpp : 366) Failed to determine erroneous kmer threshold. Threshold set to: 4
    ======= Warnings saved to $HOME/Docs/warnings.log
    No idea how and what is causing it.
    Meanwhile, I shall check fastqc report, see if that would make sense to me.

Any guidance would be of great help.

Thank you.
    Last edited by bio_informatics; 05-14-2015, 07:04 AM.
    Bioinformaticscally calm

With such a large assembly, I'd suspect contamination. I suggest you look at the GC vs coverage distribution of contigs; you may get two distinct clouds for different organisms. Also blasting them may help figure it out.

If this is an isolate rather than single cell, a kmer frequency histogram could also indicate the presence of multiple organisms. None of these will help much if it's two strains of e.coli, though.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.
      I checked fastqc report, they were reasonably well. Not too much of quality drop.
      It's an isolate.

- Is there any free tool to check GC vs coverage distribution?
      - Should I blast the whole assembly in NCBI?
      - would kmer frequency by kmergeinie be something good?

I apologize for such naive questions. I've not come across this situation.

Thanks for your guidance.

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
      With such a large assembly, I'd suspect contamination. I suggest you look at the GC vs coverage distribution of contigs; you may get two distinct clouds for different organisms. Also blasting them may help figure it out.

If this is an isolate rather than single cell, a kmer frequency histogram could also indicate the presence of multiple organisms. None of these will help much if it's two strains of e.coli, though.
      Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Was this single cell, or isolate? If single-cell, a kmer-frequency histogram won't help, but it will for isolates. Kmer-genie produces the wrong kind of histogram; the kind you need is for the number of unique kmers per depth for a fixed kmer length. You can generate that using BBNorm like this:

khist.sh in=reads.fq hist=histogram.txt

The GC versus coverage plot can be generated fairly easily with BBMap:

bbmap.sh ref=assembly.fa in=reads.fq covstats=covstats.txt fast

The covstats file will list the length, coverage, and gc content of all contigs.

The simplest thing to do, though, is probably to blast the entire assembly versus nt and see what you get. I have never personally done that, though; I think when we do it here we use some kind of wrapper that summarizes which taxa are hit in which amounts. Not sure how complicated that wrapper is; I only interact with blast via a browser, one sequence at a time

Comment

Not sure if I am following the thought here. Blasting will identify contamination i.e. some of those 918 contigs would not have E coli as the best hit?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            Not sure if I am following the thought here. Blasting will identify contamination i.e. some of those 918 contigs would not have E coli as the best hit?
            Yep. E.coli should only account for ~4.5Mbp of the assembly, so the remaining 2Mbp are probably either misassemblies or contaminant. That's enough for another complete (small) genome.

Comment

Or one or more plasmids.

But this may get complicated since depending on how good the assembly is E coli may not be the top/best/only hit. We shall see what OP finds.

Comment

@Genomax, Brian: Thank you for your inputs.
                I spoke with my team mates. The data we have is contaminated. Isolate shall be put on re-sequencing in couple of weeks.

I skipped k-mer v/s gc (something) plots, and BLAST.

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions, and guidance.
                Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

The plot that Brian mentioned can be produced with GAEMR (http://www.broadinstitute.org/softwa...erence-manual/). See an example of the plot at Figure 6.1 'Blast Bubbles'

Comment

@boetsie:
                    Thanks for pointing to this tool.
                    This looks to have a whole lot of utility with it.

Originally posted by boetsie View Post
                    The plot that Brian mentioned can be produced with GAEMR (http://www.broadinstitute.org/softwa...erence-manual/). See an example of the plot at Figure 6.1 'Blast Bubbles'
                    Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses