Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using bowtie2 with min and max fragment fragment

I am pretty new to bioinformatics, and I was hoping that I could get some help with a bowtie2 script that I am putting together.

I am aligning ChIP-seq paired-end reads (2 samples: Input control and ChIP sample) to a reference and I want to include a minimum fragment size of 200bp and maximum fragment size of 600bp. A pseudocode version of my script is below.

/(path)/bowtie2 —I 200 —X 600 -x /(path)/genomeIndex -1 (chip/IN).fastq -2 (chip/IN).fastq -S alignment.sam

When I run this code, I get the error:

"Extra parameter(s) specified: "—I", "200", "—X", "600"
    Note that if <mates> files are specified using -1/-2, a <singles> file cannot
    also be specified. Please run bowtie separately for mates and singles.
    Error: Encountered internal Bowtie 2 exception (#1)"

and:

"(ERR): bowtie2-align exited with value 1"

I am not specifying any singles files, only mate pair files, so I am thoroughly confused. Any suggestions?

I think you have double dashes for '-I' and '-X'. They should be single dashes or the long name with double dash; e.g., '--minins' and '--maxins'. Take care of that problem first and then let us know if there are problems with '-1' and '-2'.

Comment

@westerman

Nope, they are single dashes in "-I" and "-X." For good measure, I also swapped "--minins" for "-I" and "--maxins" for "-X" and it still gave me the same error.

Thanks for the idea though.

Comment

Could you paste in the exact error you get when using '--minins' and '--maxins'

Also the results of 'bowtie2 --version'
        Last edited by westerman; 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

@westerman

Sure thing, it is below.

My code:
          /(path)/bowtie2 --minins 200 --maxins 600 -x /(path)/genomeIndex -1 (reads1).fastq -2 (reads2).fastq -S (alignment).sam

The error:
          Extra parameter(s) specified: "--minins", "200", "--maxins", "600"
          Error: Encountered internal Bowtie 2 exception (#1)
          Command: /(path)/bowtie2-align-s --wrapper basic-0 -x /(path)/bowtie2-2.2.3/indexes/(genomeIndex) -S (alignment).sam -1 (reads1).fastq -2 (reads2).fastq --minins 200 --maxins 600
          (ERR): bowtie2-align exited with value 1

Also, I have to apologize, in the code that I originally posted, I did have double dashes with I and X. I fixed it though, and it did not get rid of the error.

Comment

@westerman

Results of "bowtie2 --version":
            "64-bit
            Built on pc-201305311418.ebalto.jhmi.edu
            Thu May 29 12:48:36 EDT 2014
            Compiler: gcc version 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
            Options: -O3 -m64 -msse2 -funroll-loops -g3 -DPOPCNT_CAPABILITY
            Sizeof {int, long, long long, void*, size_t, off_t}: {4, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8}"

Comment

This is strange. Not the 'Note that ...' part. That message (as per the source code) will be output if extra parameters are found. The strange part is why bowtie2 thinks you have extra parameters. What happens if you take out the minins and maxins parameters?

BTW, the source code says "... TODO: Argument parsing is very, very flawed. ..." which, having looked at it, is a statement I agree with.
              Last edited by westerman; 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

What OS is this on @millrick10?

I am not getting an error with your exact options/order they are in.
                Last edited by GenoMax; 05-22-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

@GenoMax and @millrick10

It does look like a Mac system which may cause problems.

BTW, my bowtie --version (on Linux) looks like:

/group/bioinfo/apps/apps/bowtie2-2.2.5/bowtie2-align-s version 2.2.5
                  64-bit
                  Built on localhost.localdomain
                  Thu Mar 5 18:34:52 EST 2015
                  Compiler: gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-54)
                  Options: -O3 -m64 -msse2 -funroll-loops -g3 -DPOPCNT_CAPABILITY
                  Sizeof {int, long, long long, void*, size_t, off_t}: {4, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8}

Comment

Tested on a Mac with latest bowtie (v.2.2.5) and the lambda test data that comes with bowtie. No errors.

@millrick10: Are you using the latest Mac binary?

Comment

So if I run the code below, it works. I had to take out my options (I want to use "--minins 200" and "--maxins 600").

/(path)/bowtie2 -x /(path)/genomeIndex -1 /(path)/(reads1).fastq -2 /(path)/(reads2).fastq -S (alignment).sam

If I run it with my desired options (code below):

/(path)/bowtie2 --minins 200 --maxins 600 -x /(path)/genomeIndex -1 /(path)/(reads1).fastq -2 /(path)/(reads2).fastq -S (alignment).sam

I get the error:

Extra parameter(s) specified: "—-maxins", "600"
                      Error: Encountered internal Bowtie 2 exception (#1)
                      Command: /(path)/bowtie2-align-s --wrapper basic-0 --minins 200 -x /(path)/genomeIndex -S (alignment).sam -1 (reads1).fastq -2 (reads2).fastq --maxins 600
                      (ERR): bowtie2-align exited with value 1

@GenoMax, I am using OS X version 10.9.5.

I also tried updating my bowtie2 from 2.2.3 to 2.2.5 and that has not helped.

Comment

That's odd. It must be the shell script that you are using that is causing the error.

Did you get the pre-compiled binary or compiled from source yourself?

Comment

What if you disable the -I and -X option, just run a basic bowtie2 run and see what happens?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses