Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with SSPACE, multi-threading and memory restrictions

Hi,
    I am attempting to use SSPACE version 3 to re-scaffold some mRNA contigs using paired-end RNA-Seq data. While SSPACe was designed for rescaffolding genomes, I see no reason why it should not work in similar fashion for re-scaffolding de novo assembled RNA contigs.

SSPACE is discussed in seqanswers here:
    http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8350

The SSPACE webpage can be reached from here:
    http://www.baseclear.com/genomics/bi...setools/SSPACE

I consistently get the following error message:
    =>date: Mapping reads to contigs with Bowtie
    Thread 8 terminated abnormally: Can't open bwa output -- fatal
    Out of memory!
    Process 'extend/format contigs' failed on date

with:
    resources_used.mem=47,424,992kb
    resources_used.vmem=64,093,240kb
    resources_used.walltime=00:34:33

It seems to me that SSPACE is running out of physical memory while trying to open the bwa output.

The "Thread 8 terminated abnormally" is especially cryptic, as the program was set to only run with 6 threads (-T 6).

My run parameters are:
    Code:
    #PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=6,mem=47gb,walltime=72:00:00
    SSPACE_FILE=${HOME}/src/SSPACE-STANDARD-3.0_linux-x86_64/SSPACE_Standard_v3.0.pl 
    LIBRARY_FILE=/[I]filepath[/I]/library_file_2.txt
    CONTIG_FILE=/[I]filepath[/I]/A_planci_pcg_transdec_MePath2Renam_echinoHomology.fasta		#-s option, contigs that we are scaffolding
    MIN_LINKS=10		   	# -k 10
    THREADS=6			    # -T, threads
    SKIP=0				    #-S 0=no, -S 1=yes, skip processing of reads
    EXTEND_CONTIGS=1		#-x, extend contigs using sequence data, 0=no, 1=yes, default 0
    VERBOSE=1			    #-v  Runs the scaffolding process in verbose mode (-v 1=yes, -v 0=no, default -v 0, optional)
    $SSPACE_FILE -l $LIBRARY_FILE -s $CONTIG_FILE -k $MIN_LINKS -T $THREADS -S $SKIP -x $EXTEND_CONTIGS -v $VERBOSE
    The supporting library file is attached.

I previously tried to run SSPACE over multiple nodes, but it seemed to use the cores on only one of the nodes.

Does anyone know of a way to get SSPACE to run across multiple nodes? Can it be run with mpi multi-threading? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for reducing memory requirements?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-06-2015, 07:50 AM. Reason: added CODE tags to improve display

Hi gwilymh,

Did you solve your problem?
    I encounter the same error, i would love to beneficit from your help if you found a solution.

cheers,

Comment

Did you solve your problem?

Originally posted by gwilymh View Post
      Hi,
      I am attempting to use SSPACE version 3 to re-scaffold some mRNA contigs using paired-end RNA-Seq data. While SSPACe was designed for rescaffolding genomes, I see no reason why it should not work in similar fashion for re-scaffolding de novo assembled RNA contigs.

SSPACE is discussed in seqanswers here:
      http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8350

The SSPACE webpage can be reached from here:
      http://www.baseclear.com/genomics/bi...setools/SSPACE

I consistently get the following error message:
      =>date: Mapping reads to contigs with Bowtie
      Thread 8 terminated abnormally: Can't open bwa output -- fatal
      Out of memory!
      Process 'extend/format contigs' failed on date

with:
      resources_used.mem=47,424,992kb
      resources_used.vmem=64,093,240kb
      resources_used.walltime=00:34:33

It seems to me that SSPACE is running out of physical memory while trying to open the bwa output.

The "Thread 8 terminated abnormally" is especially cryptic, as the program was set to only run with 6 threads (-T 6).

My run parameters are:
      Code:
      #PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=6,mem=47gb,walltime=72:00:00
      SSPACE_FILE=${HOME}/src/SSPACE-STANDARD-3.0_linux-x86_64/SSPACE_Standard_v3.0.pl 
      LIBRARY_FILE=/[I]filepath[/I]/library_file_2.txt
      CONTIG_FILE=/[I]filepath[/I]/A_planci_pcg_transdec_MePath2Renam_echinoHomology.fasta		#-s option, contigs that we are scaffolding
      MIN_LINKS=10		   	# -k 10
      THREADS=6			    # -T, threads
      SKIP=0				    #-S 0=no, -S 1=yes, skip processing of reads
      EXTEND_CONTIGS=1		#-x, extend contigs using sequence data, 0=no, 1=yes, default 0
      VERBOSE=1			    #-v  Runs the scaffolding process in verbose mode (-v 1=yes, -v 0=no, default -v 0, optional)
      $SSPACE_FILE -l $LIBRARY_FILE -s $CONTIG_FILE -k $MIN_LINKS -T $THREADS -S $SKIP -x $EXTEND_CONTIGS -v $VERBOSE
      The supporting library file is attached.

I previously tried to run SSPACE over multiple nodes, but it seemed to use the cores on only one of the nodes.

Does anyone know of a way to get SSPACE to run across multiple nodes? Can it be run with mpi multi-threading? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for reducing memory requirements?
      I met the same problem. Did you solve your problem?
      If you have, could you share your experiences?
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X