Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fernas
    Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 74

    #1

    Identify mRNA GEO terms and Functions

    I have a list of 50 human mRNAs and I want to study their functional characteristics. Is there a database/website that can provide me with their GO terms? what about the GO terms of all human mRNAs so I can use them as background when I study GO terms enrichment?

    One last question: is there a database that can predict the target mRNAs for these 50 mRNAs?
  • blancha
    Senior Member
    • May 2013
    • 367

    #2
    I have a list of 50 human mRNAs and I want to study their functional characteristics. Is there a database/website that can provide me with their GO terms?

    You could use Ensembl's biomaRt. There are many other websites you could use.
    I don't see the point of getting all the gene ontology terms associated with these 50 genes though. I think you rather want to do a gene ontology enrichment analysis.

    what about the GO terms of all human mRNAs so I can use them as background when I study GO terms enrichment?
    DAVID, and many other websites, will do a gene ontology enrichment analysis for you. You don't need to provide the GO terms for all human genes. They are already in the databases used by DAVID (and the other gene ontology enrichment analysis). Even though DAVID is my favorite, other websites may be more user-friendly, for example, GOrilla.

    One last question: is there a database that can predict the target mRNAs for these 50 mRNAs?
    What does this mean? mRNAs have target mRNAs?

    Comment

    • GenoMax
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 7142

      #3
      Originally posted by Fernas View Post
      One last question: is there a database that can predict the target mRNAs for these 50 mRNAs?
      I assume that should be miRNAs? If so here is a useful link: http://www.exiqon.com/microrna-target-prediction

      Comment

      • Fernas
        Member
        • Apr 2013
        • 74

        #4
        Thank you very much indeed @blancha and @GenoMax!.

        Regarding @blancha comments:
        1) I already tried DAVID before but it could not recognize the mRNA ids that I have (e.g. hsa-miR-23a-3p, hsa-miR-24-3p...etc) and it could not convert them.
        2) Can you detail to me how to use Biomart tool to do the gene ontology enrichment analysis?

        Thanks @genoMax for the very useful link!

        Regards,

        Comment

        • Fernas
          Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 74

          #5
          @blancha: I tried Biomart and could convert only 8 IDs because the IDs are in miRBase format.

          Comment

          • blancha
            Senior Member
            • May 2013
            • 367

            #6
            Sorry, but you're confusing miRNAs and mRNAs.
            Your questions make no sense since you do not make the proper distinction between miRNAs and mRNAs.

            miRNAs target mRNAs.
            miRNAs have no gene ontology terms associated with them, therefore you cannot do a gene ontology term enrichment analysis with miRNAs.

            There are a variety of databases that will give you the targets of miRNAs, e.g. miRTarBase
            miRBase also regroups information from different databases on the targets of miRNAs.

            I'm not sure what it is that you want to do.
            You may be trying to do a gene ontology analysis of the mRNA targets of 50 miRNAs.
            Last edited by blancha; 10-01-2015, 05:17 PM.

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            45 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...