Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify mRNA GEO terms and Functions

I have a list of 50 human mRNAs and I want to study their functional characteristics. Is there a database/website that can provide me with their GO terms? what about the GO terms of all human mRNAs so I can use them as background when I study GO terms enrichment?

One last question: is there a database that can predict the target mRNAs for these 50 mRNAs?

I have a list of 50 human mRNAs and I want to study their functional characteristics. Is there a database/website that can provide me with their GO terms?

You could use Ensembl's biomaRt. There are many other websites you could use.
    I don't see the point of getting all the gene ontology terms associated with these 50 genes though. I think you rather want to do a gene ontology enrichment analysis.

what about the GO terms of all human mRNAs so I can use them as background when I study GO terms enrichment?
    DAVID, and many other websites, will do a gene ontology enrichment analysis for you. You don't need to provide the GO terms for all human genes. They are already in the databases used by DAVID (and the other gene ontology enrichment analysis). Even though DAVID is my favorite, other websites may be more user-friendly, for example, GOrilla.

One last question: is there a database that can predict the target mRNAs for these 50 mRNAs?
    What does this mean? mRNAs have target mRNAs?

Comment

Originally posted by Fernas View Post
      I assume that should be miRNAs? If so here is a useful link: http://www.exiqon.com/microrna-target-prediction

Comment

Thank you very much indeed @blancha and @GenoMax!.

Regarding @blancha comments:
        1) I already tried DAVID before but it could not recognize the mRNA ids that I have (e.g. hsa-miR-23a-3p, hsa-miR-24-3p...etc) and it could not convert them.
        2) Can you detail to me how to use Biomart tool to do the gene ontology enrichment analysis?

Thanks @genoMax for the very useful link!

Regards,

Comment

@blancha: I tried Biomart and could convert only 8 IDs because the IDs are in miRBase format.

Comment

Sorry, but you're confusing miRNAs and mRNAs.
            Your questions make no sense since you do not make the proper distinction between miRNAs and mRNAs.

miRNAs target mRNAs.
            miRNAs have no gene ontology terms associated with them, therefore you cannot do a gene ontology term enrichment analysis with miRNAs.

There are a variety of databases that will give you the targets of miRNAs, e.g. miRTarBase
            miRBase also regroups information from different databases on the targets of miRNAs.

I'm not sure what it is that you want to do.
            You may be trying to do a gene ontology analysis of the mRNA targets of 50 miRNAs.
            Last edited by blancha; 10-01-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses