Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • thickrick99
    Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 21

    #1

    Amino Acid Sequence from Exome Data?

    Hi Everyone,

    I working on a project that requires an amino acid sequence of exome sequence data. My first approach was to use samtool's mpileup command to get a consensus sequence from the exome sequencing data (bam file) followed by bcftools. Here are the commands that I used:

    Code:
    samtools mpileup -g -f [reference.fa] -r 11:5225466-5227071 [sorted .bam file] > [intermediate.bcf]
    
    bcftools view [intermediate.bcf] > output.txt
    However, I checked the sequence that I got from this consensus and it doesn't match any of the sequence from the input region that I used in mpileup. Moreover, I found that the sequence has an immediate stop codon after four amino acids, which is not correct. This is the HBB gene if that helps.

    Also, I used the HG00096.mapped.illumina.mosaik.GBR.exome.20110411.bam for my exome sequence and the 1000 genomes project reference file for the fasta reference input.

    Any suggestions on how I can extract the amino acid sequence of a gene from the exome sequence data?

    Thanks in advance!
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Part that "it doesn't match any of the sequence from the input region that I used in mpileup' is worrisome. Are you sure about that?

    If this was a stranded data you may want to check all three forward frames (or all 6 if not stranded).

    Comment

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • SEQadmin2
      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
      by SEQadmin2


      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
      ...
      Yesterday, 10:25 AM
    • SEQadmin2
      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
      by SEQadmin2




      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

    ad_right_rmr

    Collapse

    News

    Collapse

    Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
    0 responses
    9 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
    0 responses
    32 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    27 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
    1 response
    48 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Working...