• Show
Clear All

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi,

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
    Shaun or Ben,

Did you guys get around this?
    Shaun also wrote an email at the time, which I responded to. I should have copied it here but didn't. Here are the salient bits, updated to be relevant to the changes made in 0.10.0:

What arguments do you recommend if I just want to report the unique alignments? I have been using -m 2.
    Why -m 2 instead of -m 1?
    I don't know myself why I've been using -m 2 instead of -m 1. I must have
    assumed at some stage that -m counted greater than or equal to.

What definition of "unique" are you after? Is it (a) there are no other legal alignments period, or (b) there are no other legal alignments with the same number of mismatches as the best match? If (b), use --strata --best -m 1, rather than just -m 1.
    Is -k X guaranteed to report the lowest mismatch alignments first?
    Answer: yes, -k X --best will report the "best" alignments first.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• bioinfosm
    replied
    Shaun or Ben,

Did you guys get around this?

Originally posted by ShaunMahony View Post
    Hi Ben,
    Here's one, but I can send you a whole file if you like:

>Test:chr5:15656372:15656404
    CTGAGCAAGGGGACCCCAATGGAAAAGTTAGG

This is aligned uniquely (and correctly) by most aligners, but is not aligned by Bowtie with the above arguments. I just noticed that when I remove the "-m 2" option, this read is aligned uniquely. This is counter-intuitive.

What arguments do you recommend if I just want to report the unique alignments? I have been using -m 2.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Originally posted by seq_GA View Post
    How to build index for human genome? Do we need to add individual chrmosomes one by one with the same index name. Pretty confused about this step.
    You can specify a comma-separated list of FASTA files as the input to bowtie-build. Example scripts that do this automatically (including the download step) are included in the 'scripts' subdirectory of the Bowtie package. E.g. scripts/make_h_sapiens_asm.sh

Alternately, you can download a pre-built index from the Bowtie website.

Originally posted by seq_GA View Post
    After building index, I have to start using bowtie aligner like ./bowtie .. with parameter rite?.
    Yes, that's right.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Originally posted by chuck View Post
    I tried bowtie remade with extraflags but it just did the same thing. Would there be a log file somewhere or something in the map file? I can't seem to find any additional output.
    Chuck - I turned this into a sourceforge issue so that we can keep all relevant info in one place and not clutter the forum too much:

I'll keep looking at this. Thanks for the details.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• seq_GA
    replied
    How to build index for human genome? Do we need to add individual chrmosomes one by one with the same index name. Pretty confused about this step.
    After building index, I have to start using bowtie aligner like ./bowtie .. with parameter rite?
    Please clarify about buinding different chrmosomes of hg18.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• chuck
    replied
    Ben,

I tried bowtie remade with extraflags but it just did the same thing. Would there be a log file somewhere or something in the map file? I can't seem to find any additional output.

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Langmead View Post
    remove the 'bowtie' binary and rebuild it using 'make EXTRA_FLAGS="-O1" bowtie', then re-run the problematic command using the new binary.

Thanks for your patience,
    Ben
    doing this now.

I wanted to say that you are the patient one. I know how much work this software development is, particularly in the open environment!

All the best,
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi Chuck,

If you have the time, there's one more thing it would help to try: remove the 'bowtie' binary and rebuild it using 'make EXTRA_FLAGS="-O1" bowtie', then re-run the problematic command using the new binary.

Thanks for your patience,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi Bogdan,

Originally posted by Bogdan Tanasa View Post
    I would appreciate to have your comments on the following : when aligning the solexa reads with bowtie,
    if a read aligns to multiple genomic regions, is the highest-scored location picked up in the final report
    (i.e. when using --best option) ? And if a read aligns with the same score to multiple regions, would it
    be possible to see the score of the alignment and the differences in the score among multiple regions ?
    In this last scenario, a randomly picked location among the equally scored genomic locations is reported ?
    I think your questions will be best answered by referring you to the reporting modes section of the manual, which includes some example invocations of Bowtie. Hope that helps,

Ben

Leave a comment:

• bogdan
    replied
    Hi everyone.

I would appreciate to have your comments on the following : when aligning the solexa reads with bowtie,
    if a read aligns to multiple genomic regions, is the highest-scored location picked up in the final report
    (i.e. when using --best option) ? And if a read aligns with the same score to multiple regions, would it
    be possible to see the score of the alignment and the differences in the score among multiple regions ?
    In this last scenario, a randomly picked location among the equally scored genomic locations is reported ?

thanks very much,

bogdan

Leave a comment:

• chuck
    replied
    oops, my bad -

okay, it aborts very quickly using 'bowtie-debug'. Using 'bowtie', it almost finishes but seems to stop working as it approaches the end.

--results using 'debug' below

command>>> ./bowtie-debug -f Castmoll_cp -1 /media/upuna/TD0001/TD0001_3108EAAXX_7_1.fa -2 /media/upuna/TD0001/TD0001_3108EAAXX_7_2.fa /media/upuna/TD0001/TD1_all_castmoll_debug.map

RESULT>>>
    Warning: Read (SOLEXA5_68_7_1_25_2044_0_1/1) is less than 3 characters long; skipping...
    assert_gt: expected (0) > (0)
    ebwt_search_backtrack.h:3265
    bowtie-debug: ebwt_search_backtrack.h:3265: virtual void EbwtSeededRangeSourceDriver::setQueryImpl(PatternSourcePerThread*, Range*): Assertion `0' failed.
    Aborted

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Ben,

I don't seem to have a ./bowtie-debug command - I made this from the source code on a 64-bit machine.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck - sorry, just do 'make bowtie-debug' and that should create it.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• chuck
    replied

Could you try the same command but using 'bowtie-debug' instead of 'bowtie'? If possible, pick a set of parameters where (a) 'bowtie' hangs and (b) the run doesn't take very long.
    Ben,

I don't seem to have a ./bowtie-debug command - I made this from the source code on a 64-bit machine.

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi Chuck,

Ben,

It still seems to be doing this. When I look at the *map file, it obviously ends without properly finishing, as you can see from the last line.
    Could you try the same command but using 'bowtie-debug' instead of 'bowtie'? If possible, pick a set of parameters where (a) 'bowtie' hangs and (b) the run doesn't take very long.

Thanks,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• chuck
    replied
    bowtie 'hanging'

Ben,

It still seems to be doing this. When I look at the *map file, it obviously ends without properly finishing, as you can see from the last line.

SOLEXA8_38_8_100_1783_191_0_2/2 - Castanea 105274 GATCCGTATCATCTTGACTTGGTTCTGATTTCTCTATTTTTTTAAGAATAC IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0
    SOLEXA8_38_8_100_1783_586_0_1/1 + Castanea 107330 CGTTACCTTAACCACAAGGAGGGGGATGCCGAAGGCAGGGCTAGTGACTGG IIIIII

Hi Chuck,

Please post the exact Bowtie version and arguments you're using. Also, please let me know if you see this problem when you use the latest version of Bowtie (0.10.0).

Thanks,
    Ben
    I just downloaded the latest version last night (0.10.0.2).

The job statement is as follows:

./bowtie -f Castmoll_cp -1 /media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_302MJAAXX_1_1.fa,/media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_3151AAAXX_2_1.fa,/media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_3151AAAXX_1_1.fa,/media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_3151AAAXX_3_1.fa -2 /media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_302MJAAXX_1_2.fa,/media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_3151AAAXX_2_2.fa,/media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_3151AAAXX_1_2.fa,/media/upuna/LH0002/LH0002_3151AAAXX_3_2.fa /media/upuna/LH0002/LH2_all_castmoll.map

Thanks,
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM
  • seqadmin
    Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
    by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
    05-06-2024, 07:48 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:55 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 05-30-2024, 03:16 PM
0 responses