Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bio_informatics
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 182

    #1

    Selecting N50 and L50: implication for genome

    Hi Members,

    I'm stuck with N50 and L50.
    Have paired end genome. E. coli isolates. Assembled with SPAdes, and quality using Quast.

    My understanding is based on information spread across different resources, and blogs. For I'm using Quast, I read its manual.


    Based on different sources, blogs, and posts of N50, and L50 I'm looking for a base line or a benchmark to assess genome quality.

    My question:
    If I'm to decide about quality of my genome based on L50 and N50, how would I be doing it?

    1) Minimum L50, Or,
    2) Maximum N50, Or,
    3) Minimum N50, Or,
    4) Maximum L50

    And, most importantly: Why?

    Based on reply by user: Jeremy Leipzig at

    https://www.biostars.org/p/723/

    What he suggests I fail to understand.

    If I were to say, then minimum number of Contigs, that is, minimum L50.
    Or Maximum N50 (the length ).

    Of course N50, and L50 cannot be considered as gold standard to decide of genome quality.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bio_informatics; 02-12-2016, 12:36 PM.
    Bioinformaticscally calm
  • westerman
    Rick Westerman
    • Jun 2008
    • 1104

    #2
    What Jeremy Leipzig at Biostars says:

    you want L50 to be large and N50 to be small, so you wouldn't need many contigs to cover most of the assembly
    Could be confusing. Unfortunately there is some disagreement in the field as to what the 'L' and 'N' mean. I think that most people take 'N' to be the 'length' and 'L' to be the number but there are some people (e.g., Brian of BBMap fame) who use 'N' to be the number of contigs and 'L' to be the weighted median length. Brian's use of 'L'ength and 'N'umber certainly makes sense from an English usage standpoint but does go contrary to the long standing use of 'N' for length.

    So, going back to the quote, it could be that Jeremy was using L and N in the Length and Number sense.


    Going back to your original question and using N as Length, given the choice of a single statistic to optimize I would go with a maximum N50 over a minimum L50. But this single statistic masks so many other considerations (e.g., did my assembly match expected genome size? percentage of unknown bases? and so on) that it is basically worthless by itself.

    Comment

    • bio_informatics
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2013
      • 182

      #3
      Originally posted by westerman View Post
      What Jeremy Leipzig at Biostars says:



      Could be confusing. Unfortunately there is some disagreement in the field as to what the 'L' and 'N' mean. I think that most people take 'N' to be the 'length' and 'L' to be the number but there are some people (e.g., Brian of BBMap fame) who use 'N' to be the number of contigs and 'L' to be the weighted median length. Brian's use of 'L'ength and 'N'umber certainly makes sense from an English usage standpoint but does go contrary to the long standing use of 'N' for length.

      So, going back to the quote, it could be that Jeremy was using L and N in the Length and Number sense.


      Going back to your original question and using N as Length, given the choice of a single statistic to optimize I would go with a maximum N50 over a minimum L50. But this single statistic masks so many other considerations (e.g., did my assembly match expected genome size? percentage of unknown bases? and so on) that it is basically worthless by itself.
      Hi westerman,
      Thanks much for your reply.
      I see, it makes sense what Jeremy suggested, for the prevalent confusion of 'L' and 'N'.

      I agree merely N, L 50s would be worthless if we overlook other parameters if genome length, number of Ns, etc.
      I've already filtered poor assembled genomes based on genome size. Wanted to zoom in more if I could for another task

      Thank you for your reply.
      Bioinformaticscally calm

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      29 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      24 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      46 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...