Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ovon
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2016
    • 4

    #1

    Looking for advice on generating a transcriptome from mapped .bam or .sam files

    Hello all. I'm starting off here with something fairly complex, I guess.

    I'm looking for some advice because I'm starting a new project and I haven't done this sort of thing before.

    I've got a few samples worth of RNAseq reads and I'd like to generate expression information with them. They are human, but likely to contain sequences that are not in an existing reference transcriptomes. The read depth is also not very high, so I'm hesitant to just use the genome as a reference when generating expression data.

    My plan right now is to map them to the current version of the human genome using STAR, then to use the alignments generated to produce a fasta file that has consensus sequences for everything aligned.

    From there I can use Sailfish or Salmon to get read counts, RPKM, etc, and compare my samples using some kind of differential expression analysis in R. This part I'm solid on, it's the middle step that I'm not so sure about.

    Does anyone think that generating a reference transcriptome this way is inadvisable (and why)?

    If this sounds reasonable, what do you think is the best way to do so? I see that Trinity has a genome guided transcriptome generation option. I'd like to try that out. If not, I also see that there are ways to get just the aligned portions of a .bam file in .fasta format. Seems like a relatively convoluted process, though. I'd prefer to keep things relatively simple where possible.

    One last thing, I'm not sure about preserving annotations for either of these options. So I'm open to advice on how to do that no matter what route I end up going.

    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ovon; 02-19-2016, 04:37 PM. Reason: typo check
  • Brian Bushnell
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2014
    • 2709

    #2
    BBMap is, probably, substantially more sensitive for finding novel isoforms/splice-sites from low-coverage data (the only non-default flag you would need is "maxindel=200k"). I have not directly compared it to STAR, though.

    As for generating a reference transcriptome, you might consider making a union of the official transcriptome and your experimental transcriptome prior to quantification. That way, transcripts that are already annotated, and present in your samples but in levels too low to assemble, will still become valid mapping targets.

    I think the simplest approach would probably be to combine all your data, assemble with Trinity, then deduplicate your assembled transcriptome in conjunction with an official transcriptome using Dedupe (part of the BBMap package), which also removes contained subsequences. At that point you will have all official and novel transcripts for optimal quantification. This solution is not perfect, but eukaryotic RNA-seq is always messy.

    Comment

    • ovon
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2016
      • 4

      #3
      Thanks Brian, I wasn't aware of bbmap's capabilities wrt this analysis. That is all very helpful and I think I will go ahead with your suggestions. Definitely sounds easier than what I was planning.

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      29 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      24 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      46 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...