Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing bedtools, intel vs gcc compiler

I'm installing Bedtools for myself on a HPC cluster, the Bedtools website indicates it uses the GCC compiler while the cluster I'm working on uses the Intel compiler by default and says GCC is not recommended (but is available) on the cluster. What is the best way to install Bedtools in this situation?
    1. If I use the default Intel compiler and leave the makefile with g++, it starts off fine then there's an error and it exits with "This Intel <math.h> is for use with only the Intel compilers".
    2. If I use the default Intel compiler and change the Bedtools makefile (I think I'm editing this correctly) "export CXX" line from "g++" to "icc", I get over 1000 warnings but Bedtools seems to install fine (the few Bedtools tests I ran worked).
    3. If I load the gcc 5.3.0 compiler and make Bedtools (using the original makefile with "export CXX = g++") I get about 15 warnings but it seems to install properly.
    4. If I load the gcc 5.3.0 compiler and change the Bedtools makefile "export CXX" line from "g++" to "icc", it exits almost immediately with an error ("icc: Command not found").

#1 and 4 don't complete as I expected, #3 seems the best, should I use #3 or do something else? I can provide the errors/output from make if that would help.
    Last edited by biocomputer; 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM.

For #3 are those actual errors or "warnings"? If it is the latter then #3 may be fine.

Comment

Ah those are warnings not errors, I corrected the original post.

Here's the output from #3:

Last edited by biocomputer; 03-15-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

The warning messages are probably not going to cause a problem.
        The "set but not used" messages are probably harmless.
        The 'signed/unsigned comparison" is probably not a big deal; unless the chromosome size is greater than 2,147,483,647 bases.

You are unlikely to find one that big.

This biostar thread https://www.biostars.org/p/12560/ says that there's a species of wheat that has a chromosome that's bigger.

Comment

Re #2, compiling bedtools 2.25.0 with Intel's icpc (ICC) 15.0.0 20140723 I got only a handful of trivial warnings (see https://github.com/arq5x/bedtools2/pull/382). If your warnings are similar, I suspect an ICC-compiled bedtools is fine.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses