No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• base composition variation in Illumina runsH

Hi everyone,

We've recently done a set of mRNA-seq runs using the Illumina platform, 75bp reads. The library was random primed, and polyA selected.

We notice that the GC content of the first ~12 bases fluctuates rather dramatically, suggesting a pretty strong bias in the transcripts that are being sequenced. We do not believe that these fluctuations are caused by adaptors. I've been told that random priming is not exactly random, and that this type of bias is not atypical. Attached are plots of base compostion (%A, %G etc.) for each position across all reads.

I just wanted to confirm with a broader audience that other people see things like this in their data. Or whether I should be terribly depressed about the condition of our data. Note that these images are from 5 different runs (each 1 lane) sequenced in two different batches (months apart) and that the pattern of the fluctuations is consistent in all 5.

Also, FYI, I used fastQC, a very handy little software to make these ( and a number of other) QC plots.

Thanks for your input!

Chris
    Last edited by chrisbala; 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM.

*not* seeing those patterns following illumina's poly-a, random-primed mrna-seq protocol would be disconcerting.

i don't think this should lessen, however, being terribly depressed about the conditions of the data!

Comment

Check out this paper:

Hansen et al. Biases in Illumina transcriptome sequencing caused by random hexamer priming. Nucleic Acids Res (2010) (link)

They analyze in depth the biases in the Illumina random hexamer priming method.

Comment

bias correction

THanks!

Any thought about/experience with the bias correction proposed in the paper above? I'll give it a shot and see what happens...

Comment

base composition differences

This is not exactly related to my posts above - but does anyone know of any methods to correct for base composition differences among runs?

Here I'm not talking about differences between sites within reads as above, here I am talking about differences among libraries in gc content.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses