Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .bam to .wig conversion

I'm trying do some sanity checks by putting my TopHat output on the UCSC browser. In order to do this, I need to convert my accepted_hits.bam files to .wig files. Has anyone tried to do this? I know you can do this with SAMtools for .sam files and I was wondering if you can do the same for .bam. If not, what other tools do people use? Also, older TopHat output generated .wig files. Is there any way to get newer builds to do this? Thanks!

I've resorted to converting the .bam file to -sam and using the wiggles program that comes with tophat to create the .wig files but this is hugely inefficient. I really wish they had kept the creation of wig files as standard or that wiggles could be updated to also accept .bam files as input. Then again, I also wish they hadn't dropped support for GFF3 in favour of GFF2!

Comment

Originally posted by kalidaemon View Post
      I'm trying do some sanity checks by putting my TopHat output on the UCSC browser. In order to do this, I need to convert my accepted_hits.bam files to .wig files. Has anyone tried to do this? I know you can do this with SAMtools for .sam files and I was wondering if you can do the same for .bam. If not, what other tools do people use? Also, older TopHat output generated .wig files. Is there any way to get newer builds to do this? Thanks!
      You can try genomeCoverageBed from bedtools suite, it's able to read bam and generate bedgraph files.

d

Comment

Originally posted by natstreet View Post
        I've resorted to converting the .bam file to -sam and using the wiggles program that comes with tophat to create the .wig files but this is hugely inefficient. I really wish they had kept the creation of wig files as standard or that wiggles could be updated to also accept .bam files as input. Then again, I also wish they hadn't dropped support for GFF3 in favour of GFF2!
        I think the reason for dropping wiggle tracks is because they are massive and the server gets bogged down with trying to import all that data. Besides, BAM files can be visualized directly on UCSC - if you can put them on a web-accessible server.

Comment

If anyone's using bedtools genomeCoverageBed for this, don't forget to use the -split parameter if you're using it with tophat bam files, otherwise the junction reads get stretched across the introns weirdly.

The commands I ended up using were

Code:
          genomeCoverageBed -split -bg -ibam accepted_hits.sorted.bam -g dm3.chrom.sizes > accepted_hits.bedgraph
          wigToBigWig accepted_hits.bedgraph dm3.chrom.sizes myfile.bw

Comment

Prob with visualization even after using split

Hi,

I used the command as you have suggested to split the reads over the splice junctions:
            ./genomeCoverageBed -split -bg -ibam ip_sorted.bam -g genome_hg19.txt > accepted_hits.bedgraph

#genome_hg19.txt has the chromosome sizes for hg19.

But, when I upload the bedgraph onto Genomebrowser, it still shows stretch of reads between peaks.

Could you suggest where the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

This issue bothered me for a while too when I used bedtools v2.13, in which -split didn't work.

The fix is actually simple: just download the new version bedtools (v2.16.2) and re-run it.

Originally posted by anagari View Post
              Hi,

I used the command as you have suggested to split the reads over the splice junctions:
              ./genomeCoverageBed -split -bg -ibam ip_sorted.bam -g genome_hg19.txt > accepted_hits.bedgraph

#genome_hg19.txt has the chromosome sizes for hg19.

But, when I upload the bedgraph onto Genomebrowser, it still shows stretch of reads between peaks.

Could you suggest where the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

@Shenr: Thanks a lot!! Updating bedtools to 2.16 did work!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses