Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dan
    wiki wiki
    • Jul 2008
    • 194

    #1

    Comparing genotyping chips to deep sequencing?

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for any literature that compares SNP genotyping chips (such as infinium or illumina genotyping platforms) to 'deep sequencing' datasets such as WGS or RNASeq (and the subsequent SNP calling using SAMTools or similar).

    I've seen a few human genome papers where the authors also include a SNP chip analysis (probably because it's so cheap compared to WGS), but I'm not sure of any specific studies or meta-studies.

    Thanks for any pointers,
    Dan.
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.
  • krobison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 734

    #2
    Some genome centers (e.g. WashU) use the SNP chip info as a quality check, sample identity check & also to determine if they have gone deep enough.

    I found this reference that did a direct comparison; I believe there are more

    Comment

    • dan
      wiki wiki
      • Jul 2008
      • 194

      #3
      Thanks very much for this link Kris. I'm looking to build a collection ;-)

      All the best,
      Dan.
      Homepage: Dan Bolser
      MetaBase the database of biological databases.

      Comment

      • krobison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2007
        • 734

        #4
        You're welcome, but it's Lys-Glu-Ile-Thr-His not Lys-Arg-Ile-Ser :-)

        Comment

        • Michael.James.Clark
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 207

          #5
          We did so in the U87MG Decoded paper. Ran Illumina 1M-Duo and compared to our SNP calls from WGS on the SOLiD.

          I think for these early studies it made sense, but we've reached the point where SNV calls from WGS are more accurate than the error rate of the SNP chips themselves. After that point, all we end up doing is saying, "Well, we did better than a SNP chip," which is kind of silly.
          Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
          Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
          Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

          Comment

          • dan
            wiki wiki
            • Jul 2008
            • 194

            #6
            Right, but there are different costs and requirements associated, so I'd like to know about the general characteristics so that the right choice can be made for the right study.

            Thanks for the link, I'm happy to pull in all such papers ;-)
            Homepage: Dan Bolser
            MetaBase the database of biological databases.

            Comment

            • dan
              wiki wiki
              • Jul 2008
              • 194

              #7
              Originally posted by krobison View Post
              You're welcome, but it's Lys-Glu-Ile-Thr-His not Lys-Arg-Ile-Ser :-)
              Met-Ile-Asn-Thr-Glu-Arg!

              I think I called you Kris a while back and for some reason it stuck.

              Cheers,
              Homepage: Dan Bolser
              MetaBase the database of biological databases.

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                Yesterday, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              30 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              25 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              46 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
              1 response
              55 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...