Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ewilbanks
    replied
    Thanks!!

    @maubp: those links were really helpful and cleared up my concerns! I had read an isoltated report and heard tell of the scary "B" but really didn't know what to make of it. Good thing I looked into it, because I was about to trim my Sanger-format FASTQ file that way, which would have been silly... Going back to re-trim from the Illumina format file!

    @drio: good point! I'll try that and let you know how it goes. I guess I was just concerned about figuring out the best way to throw out the "bad quality" reads. I think armed with my new knowledge, I'll try some quality trimming and then run the test you suggest. Will post once the data is chewed

    Leave a comment:


  • drio
    replied
    @2: Most aligners come with the qseq to fastq converter encouraging passing data from qseq. If you have cpu cycles, it'd be nice to map from and after qseq and see what results you are getting. Once you have that you can take a look to various things. What's the difference on total number of alignments reads and MAPq distributions. Also, you can check the MAPq of the reads that were filtered out by the software. Let us know what you find out!

    Leave a comment:


  • maubp
    replied
    About the Read Segment Quality Control Indicator (B thing), are you seeing B in the middle of the quality string, or just a reads which end with a run of BBBBB? See also:

    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

    Leave a comment:


  • ewilbanks
    started a topic Illumina quality scores

    Illumina quality scores

    Hi everyone,

    I've got a couple questions about dealing with quality info from Illumina data. What's the general opinion on the following things I've heard:

    1) After a "B" indicating a bad call, all downstream nucleotides can't be relied upon and should be thrown out. (http://brianknaus.com/software/srtoolbox/shortread.html)
    2) The Illumina pipeline filtering throws out lots of useful data. You should work directly from the _qseq and not the filtered _sequence.txt files.

    Thoughts?? Opinions?? Is quality filtering like what's described in 1) overkill if I'm using MAQ as a quality aware aligner downstream?

    I'm eventually aligning (MAQ) all these to a reference genome for ChIP-seq on microbial samples. Our coverage is super deep so I haven't just been throwing away repeat reads, since those could be expected based on our depth of sequence coverage. I'm looking for good ways to clean up our data!

    Thanks!!!!
    Lizzy

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    Yesterday, 10:25 AM
  • SEQadmin2
    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
    by SEQadmin2




    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
0 responses
7 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
31 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
26 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
46 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...