Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 assembled reads

I have 454 assembled contigs, Isotigs and singletons. The core facility that we used has done this for us, using Newbler. Do I still need to get rid of any adapter sequences or can I use these data directly for other analyses? In addition, how can I combine Isotigs, contigs and singltons?
    Last edited by katussa10; 11-30-2010, 05:14 AM.

The Singletons will still have the adaptor sequences. The contigs/isotigs mostly should not ( if at the time of running Newbler, a database of the adaptor sequences was specified ).

You can combine the singletons, contigs and the largest isotig from each isogroup and run it through one more assembly software ( Reference assembly if you have a reference genome ).

Comment

Thanks Khanjan,
      I don't have reference genome. In this case, is there a way to do the second assembly and what program do you recommend?
      Thanks again.

Comment

You can use a genome which is closest to your organism. You can use Scarf as the Assembler.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanjan View Post
          The Singletons will still have the adaptor sequences.
          I am not sure that follows. Singletons, per se, are not part of the Newbler output. The files 454Isotigs.fna and 454AllContigs.fna, sure, they exist. And the 454ReadStatus.tfa file tells where the reads went to. But there is no, as far as I know, Newbler generated singleton file.

We at Purdue Genomics do provide a Singleton.tfa file to our customers. The reads in this file have been trimmed using the data in 454TrimStatus.txt

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
            I am not sure that follows. Singletons, per se, are not part of the Newbler output. The files 454Isotigs.fna and 454AllContigs.fna, sure, they exist. And the 454ReadStatus.tfa file tells where the reads went to. But there is no, as far as I know, Newbler generated singleton file.

We at Purdue Genomics do provide a Singleton.tfa file to our customers. The reads in this file have been trimmed using the data in 454TrimStatus.txt
            Newbler does not generate the a file containing the singletons as it does for Isotigs and Contigs. But you can do a grep on the 454ReadStatus and find the read
            ids of those which are singletons and then extract those singletons from the original sff files ( using sfffile/sffinfo )

Since the Singletons were not included in the Assembly, they wont be trimmed and will contain the adaptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanjan View Post
              Newbler does not generate the a file containing the singletons as it does for Isotigs and Contigs.
              That was my point. You can not say where the singleton file came from.

Maybe the person who generated it just took reads marked 'singleton' from the 454ReadStatus file.

Or maybe the person who generated the file took the reads marked 'singleton' plus the information from the 454TrimStatus file in order to create a singleton file that is trimmed.

sfffile has the '-t' option (File containing accno/trim line information) so it is quite easy to do the trimming. We do this routinely.

But all in all you can not assume that the singleton is untrimmed. Nor trimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
                That was my point. You can not say where the singleton file came from.

Maybe the person who generated it just took reads marked 'singleton' from the 454ReadStatus file.

Or maybe the person who generated the file took the reads marked 'singleton' plus the information from the 454TrimStatus file in order to create a singleton file that is trimmed.

sfffile has the '-t' option (File containing accno/trim line information) so it is quite easy to do the trimming. We do this routinely.

But all in all you can not assume that the singleton is untrimmed. Nor trimmed.
                Yes, that makes sense. I assumed they are directly extracted from the *.sff file and not trimmed.

My sincere apologies

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses