No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakdancer versus Pindel

Hi all,

I am hesitating between Breakdancer and Pindel/Dindel for structural variation (SV) and indel detection. Does someone has ever compared or used both software? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

mathieu

I have a feeling that they would be more complementary to each other. Did you end up trying either or both and what are your experiences?

Comment

I tried both and they gave quite results. Both had a main issue: what is apparently long rearrangements was treated as many short rearrangements... I put a bit this issue apart and I am not yet decided on what is the best strategy.
      It is quite disappointing and I think that an effort has to be made by the community to improve the SV detection. The SNPs and indel detection has now reach a agreement point in term of algorithm (recalibration, local realignment, etc.. ), but I have the feeling that the SV detection is still very immature. And I am not even speaking with its integration with genotyping pipeline etc.

Comment

What did you mean by long rearrangements being treated as short ones? I thought breakdancer outputs breakpoints info not about size of rearrangements. Could you clarify? I also agree with you, SV detection is not keeping up, I think so far only the Sanger's group has a consistent way of characterizing them.

Comment

Breakdancer Question

I have been calling SV by breakdancer Max (C version);
          I found some warings:
          1、while chr1 eq chr2,the pos2 <pos1;maybe it's a bug?
          2、pos2-pos1 >100M,but the size <200bp;maybe it's rearrangement?
          3、pos2-pos1 >200M,and the size >200M,and the type is DEL while the sample is blood;how about this,rearrangement too?

If you had the same question,and you have been sloved it.....Please told us your method,Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by mathieu View Post
            Hi all,

I am hesitating between Breakdancer and Pindel/Dindel for structural variation (SV) and indel detection. Does someone has ever compared or used both software? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

mathieu
            BreakDancer is a read-pair approach for SVs
            Dindel is re-alignment for short indels
            Pindel is split-read for both short indels and SVs

Comment

Try using them complementary to each other. If a SV has both read-pair and split-read support, it is a strong candidate.
              Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
              Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
              Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses