Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be possible during the bcl demultiplexing specify the error/mismatch value for the index ?

Comment

as this already worked in 1.7, why should Illumina remove this "feature"?

Comment

It seems that there are lots of things that has changed with v1.8. I wish Illumina releases at least a user guide/early version of the software. We can discuss all year long and still will not get the complete picture of the new version from the release notes alone. Many centers like ours have wrappers around these software for automation.

Comment

Hi,
          V1.8 has some extra fields:
          <is filtered> is Y if the read is filtered, N otherwise.
          <control number> is 0 when none of the control bits are on, otherwise it is an even number.
          Does anyone know what these are for?
          Is is_filtered reminiscent of QSEQ quality flag and if so does 'Y' mean high or low quality?

Colin

Comment

@sparks -- this is just like the 0/1 (fail/pass) in the last field old qseq files. The problem, to my knowledge is that all reads are output to the fastq.qz. Y means failed QC. Seems backwards I know...

Illumina should have a flag in the configureBclToFastq.pl script to either a) exclude non-passing filter reads or b) write them into a different fastq.gz. Otherwise you have to unzip and do filtering this via your own scripting, and this is just a waste of time...

One other thing I'll say Illumina about the format is the pass/fail and barcode string in the read header are delimited by a space. Spaces are bad! Shame! Lots of aligners will discard everything after the space.

Comment

Originally posted by caddymob View Post
              One other thing I'll say Illumina about the format is the pass/fail and barcode string in the read header are delimited by a space. Spaces are bad! Shame! Lots of aligners will discard everything after the space.
              On a similar point, I'd already posted earlier on this thread that I thought removing the forward/reverse suffix (i.e. /1 or /2 at the end of the read name) and sticking this in the read description (after the space) was a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
                On a similar point, I'd already posted earlier on this thread that I thought removing the forward/reverse suffix (i.e. /1 or /2 at the end of the read name) and sticking this in the read description (after the space) was a bad idea.
                I missed that, but yes, very good point!

Comment

@sparks -- this is just like the 0/1 (fail/pass) in the last field old qseq files. The problem, to my knowledge is that all reads are output to the fastq.qz. Y means failed QC. Seems backwards I know...

Illumina should have a flag in the configureBclToFastq.pl script to either a) exclude non-passing filter reads or b) write them into a different fastq.gz. Otherwise you have to unzip and do filtering this via your own scripting, and this is just a waste of time...

Thanks for update, I'll ad a function in novoalign to filter the failed reads.

With regard the barcode sequence it appears Illumina will have already demux'd the reads so all reads should have the same barcode. Is this correct or could we get a file with mixed index tags?

Colin

Comment

Does anyone have a few V1.8 fastq records they could share for testing? I'd like to identify file as V1.8 from header and parse the is_filtered field. I can fake some records for testing but real records would be better.

Thanks, Colin

Comment

Couple test CASVA 1.8 fastqs with 400 reads for read 1 and read 2 attached, no QC filtering applied. Hope this helps!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Couple test CASVA 1.8 fastqs with 400 reads for read 1 and read 2 attached, no QC filtering applied. Hope this helps!
                        Hi Caddymob,

Thanks for that. The reads went perfectly though not many aligned against hg36, I guess they are not human.

Novoalign now recognises the 1.8 format and has options to skip, use or QC the is_filtered='Y' reads.

Cheers, Colin

Comment

Originally posted by sparks View Post

Thanks for that. The reads went perfectly though not many aligned against hg36, I guess they are not human.
                          Correct, they're rat RNA-seq. Glad they worked anyway

Comment

FASTQ quality score above 40

With the new CASAVA version, base quality scores now include 41 (=J in ASCII)?

@HWI-ST750:72:B0812ABXX:5:1101:5504:2021 1:N:0:
                            TTGCAGGGTAGGTATAAGAGTTCTTAAAGAAAAGGAAATAGGACAACAATAAGAAGATAAGAAAAATCATTTGGACTTAAATTAGTTACATTGCTAAAGTTTCTC
                            +
                            BCCFFFFFCFHHCGHJJJIJHHIJJGJJJIJJJJJJDCGIIJJJJJJJJJJJJGHIJJJJJIJJJJIIJJIHHHHHHFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDEEDD

Just wondering, since so far in our raw read data Phred scores ranged from 0 to 40 only.
                            Or is there an additional meaning behind the "J" base qual, like it was used for the stretch of "B"s at end of reads?

Thanks,
                            Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by SeqAnswerSeeker View Post

TTGCAGGGTAGGTATAAGAGTTCTTAAAGAAAAGGAAATAGGACAACAATAAGAAGATAAGAAAAATCATTTGGACTTAAATTAGTTACATTGCTAAAGTTTCTC
                              +
                              BCCFFFFFCFHHCGHJJJIJHHIJJGJJJIJJJJJJDCGIIJJJJJJJJJJJJGHIJJJJJIJJJJIIJJIHHHHHHFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDEEDD

Just wondering, since so far in our raw read data Phred scores ranged from 0 to 40 only.
                              Or is there an additional meaning behind the "J" base qual, like it was used for the stretch of "B"s at end of reads?

Thanks,
                              Natalie
                              See this: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12339

Comment

Originally posted by SeqAnswerSeeker View Post

+

Thanks,
                                Natalie
                                Hi Natalie,

there have been some improvements to the chemistry and a refinement of the quality model. As a result, we are now starting to see Q41. There is no additional meaning behind the "J".

Thanks,

Semyon

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses