Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a in silico enzyme digestion script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a in silico enzyme digestion script?

I am looking for a in silico enzyme digestion program which I can input the enzyme name, cognite sequence, and the genome to be scanned against. the output will the size distribution of the resulting fragment, also a BED format file with fragment coordiate, like chrom, start, end etc. Anyone has such a program and would like to share with me. Thanks a lot!

Hello,

This can be done with Biopieces (www.biopieces.org) using digest_seq and BamHI as an example:

Code:
    read_fasta -i genome.fna | digest_seq -p GGATCC -c 1 | plot_lendist -k SEQ_LEN -x
    To get a BED file:

Code:
    read_fasta -i genome.fna | digest_seq -p GGATCC -c 1 | rename_keys -k SEQ_NAME,S_ID | write_bed -xo fragments.bed
    Or to do both in one go:

Code:
    read_fasta -i genome.fna |
    digest_seq -p GGATCC -c 1 |
    plot_lendist -k SEQ_LEN -t post -o dist_plot.ps |
    rename_keys -k SEQ_NAME,S_ID |
    write_bed -xo fragments.bed

Restriction enzyme patterns and cut positions are found at REBASE http://rebase.neb.com - or by typing "rescan_seq --help"

Cheers,

Martin

Comment

You definitely should take a look at the remap tool from the EMBOSS package.
      http://emboss.bioinformatics.nl/cgi-bin/emboss/remap
      Cheers,
      Adhemar

Comment

thank you!

Thank you for helping me out! I will give a try.

Comment

I have difficulty to run the command. I installed the packages in my desktop, and follow the instructions which listed in the web. I am not sure whether the code is sourced, and I run the test code, it seems nothing changed. Could you give more detailed information on how to install it and test it since I am a bench scientist, not that familiar with the command line program. Thanks

[email protected]:~/Desktop/biopieces$ bp_test
          bp_test: command not found

Comment

Did you add the following section to your ~/.bashrc file:

Code:
            # >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enabling Biopieces if installed <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

# Modify the below paths according to your settings.
            # If you have followed the installation step-by-step as described above,
            # the below should work just fine.

export BP_DIR="$HOME/biopieces"  # Directory where biopieces are installed
            export BP_DATA="$HOME/BP_DATA"   # Contains genomic data etc.
            export BP_TMP="$HOME/tmp"        # Required temporary directory.
            export BP_LOG="$HOME/BP_LOG"     # Required log directory.

if [ -f "$BP_DIR/bp_conf/bashrc" ]; then
                source "$BP_DIR/bp_conf/bashrc"
            fi  

# >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            AND

run the command

Code:
            source ~/.bashrc

Martin

Comment

Hi, I am confronting the same problem, in silico digestion for CCGG .
              I have a file with hg19 and one line per chromosome sequence and I do :

Code:
              cat hg19.txt | sed "s/[COLOR="DarkRed"]CCGG[/COLOR]/\n/g" | awk '{l=length($1); mem[l]++;}
              END{for(i=0;i<=1000;i++){print mem[i]}}'
              Is it stupid ? I don t understand why this team have so different results ....

Here is my results for instance : I have 9975 time one nucleotide between 2 CCGG's

Any idea ?

Comment

Working...
              X