No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dindel problem: overlapping windows and non-uniquely re-aligned reads

Hi all!

We are trying to use Dindel for generating re-aligned .bams from Illumina PE-read data. I was able to run through the Dindel pipeline, but noticed that in the output .sam files (generated following the instructions given in Dindel manual), many reads were output more than once.

When examining my data, I realized that overlapping windows were created in Dindel Stage 2. (The makeWindows.py step.) This is probably the reason why I was getting multiple reads in the concatenated .sam files.

Has anyone else encountered the same problems while attempting to get re-aligned .bam files? Do you know any solutions? Merging windows would be an obvious option, but could this result in large windows with unmanageable number of distinct haplotypes?

Any comments are welcome! 8)
    Yilong

just curious, are you outputing SAM to look at the indel sequences? I never became aware of that function. Thanks.

Comment

There is a warning about this in the Dindel manual (though no solution).

Comment

Thanks for the replies csoong and gaffa.

I want to output the re-aligned reads in a new .bam file to visualize them in a in-house program. Also we could use the re-aligned .bams in GATK UnifiedGenotyper. The actual indel sequences can be seen in the VCF file produced in the last step of the Dindel pipeline I think.

gaffa: yeah I've seen the warning in the manual. I am wondering if anybody been able to combine the re-aligned reads into a single .sam file.

Comment

Bump. Please share any ideas!

Comment

Hey I merged all the windows from dindel into a single bam file using samtools merge command. But I didn't check if there's any overlapping windows. Do you always have this problem?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses