No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GenoMax
    replied
    Is there a specific reason you converted these reads to fasta format? If this is data from SRA then you should be able to map the fastq reads directly.

You may be getting secondary alignments and that may be the reason why your read count seems inflated.

Leave a comment:

• bbmap inflating read count and not finding one sequence after header

I'm using bbmap to map transcriptome reads to a set of target loci. I'm working with 12 samples with pair-end reads and 1 sample with single-end reads, all from NCBI's SRA. I'm having no problems with bbmap reading paired-end data and completing analyses correctly. It's the one sample with single-end reads that's causing two issues:

1. The first issue is that the input fasta file only has 288915 reads. I have confirmed this with grep ">" file.fasta | wc -l. However, bbmap reports "Reads used: 308655". I have no idea why the read count is inflated; again, this is not an issue with the paired-end data.

2. bbmap fails to recognize a sequence immediately after the fasta header: "Warning: A fasta header with no sequence was encountered: SRR768524.9631" The sequence in question is formatted exactly like all others in the file and I have checked the EOL, which is fine. Below is what a snippet of the fasta file looks like, with the 3rd sequence being the problematic one for bbmap.

>SRR768524.9629
    CTATCAAAGGGAAATCCCGCTGGCCTGCTATCATACAGTCTTGAACCTCCACATGCAATATCAGCTGAATCTCCAACGTGGCCGCTGACAAATGGAGTAACTACGACTGCCAAAACGAAAGCGCGACCTCCTTTCCATCCCATGGGTAATTGGAGTCTTTGAGGAAATCCACATCGGCCAGCCTCTGAATAATGGAATGGTTCCTTCTGGTTGAGTGCACTGTTTATTGAAGTGTAAAGAGACCTGAATCCTTCTTGGTCATGGATAAAGAGGGGAGAATCTGTTGAACTTCTTTCCCACACATTAACACCCTCAGTCAATTTTACTGGGAAACGGTCAATTTCAAATAAGCTAGTTTTGCTTGGTCATAAGTGAGGAAATGTTCATCAGAATCATATTTCGGTCCAATGAATACTCTCACAATGGCATCATCAGCTTTT
    >SRR768524.9630
    ATAATGCAATTATAGATTGTTGGAGTGCAGGTAAAGCTACCACTGTTATGATTAAAGATAATCCAAAGGTTGAAATTCTTGATGTAGAAGATGTTAAGGTTGGAAAGATAAGACAATTTTGTGAGTTGGACTTGGCATTGAACATGGCCTTACGAAAGTATTTTGGTAGTGTGTTTGATAAAATGGCAGTTACATCTAATGAAACGCCGTGGAAAGTTGCTTGGAATCCATATTTTATGCCTCATCACATCGTGGCGATAGAGAACGACAAGTACGATGTCTTTTGTATAGATGTGAAAAGAATGGATAAGAATTTACCAGTCCAATTCACTGAGATATTGTGT
    >SRR768524.9631
    TGTTACTGGGTAGGGCTGTGGCACTGGGACCTTGACTGGATAGGGTACATGCTTCTCGACTGGTACTGGGTATGGCTTGGGAATGTGGACAGGGTATGGCCTATCGACTGGGACCTTCACGGGATAGGGAACTTTCTTCTCGATATGGACTGGATAAGGTACTGGTACCTCCTTGTGGATGGTGATAGCTTTAATGTGGCCGTGTTCCTCATGTCCTCCGAGTTCATAGCCACCTCCATATCCGTATCCTCCTAAGTCATGTCCACCTCCATATCCTCCATGTCCACCGCCGTATCCTCCAAGCTCATAACCACCTCCATATCCTAAGCCAAGAAGTCCTCGTTTCTCCTGCTTCTTGTCATCTGTTGGTGCCGCTGCTTTGTCGGTCTTGGATTCGGCCTTCTTCTCTTCAGCTGATGCTGTGGCAAGCAGTGCCAACAGCCCTACCCACAGTACCTTGGATTGCATTGTTGAGTCGTGGTGTGGTCGGCGTCTCCCAA
    >SRR768524.9632
    AATTCCCAACGACCAAGTATCTGAACATGAGTGGATCAATGCTGAGATCCTGCCTGCTACTGCTATTCCTAGCTTACTGTGTGTCCTGCTATAGAAGTCATGTTCCTAGAGGCGGGAGTTACTCTCTACCGCCTGGAGTTAATCCAACATTCCCAGGAAGGAACCAAGGACTGCCTCCGGCTTATCATGGAAAATTCAAGAGATCACTGGAAGGAGGTTTAGAACCTGAAGATGGTGGTGTCCTTGCAGTTGATGAACCTGCTGATTATCTGAAAGTCAAAAGGTCAGTGGAAGATGTTGAAGGTGAATTCCTTGTGAACGAAGAACCTCAAGAATTTGAGACACTGAGAGCGCGCCGTGACGTCAGAATAATTCATCCAACT
    >SRR768524.9633
    TTCCAAACTGTCGATTCATGATGTACACAATACCAAAAAAGGCAAATAAGAAATAAAAGT
    I'm at a loss for figuring out how to resolve these issues. I appreciate any help in getting this to run properly on this last fasta file.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses