Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • vidhya
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 4

    #1

    Samtools SNP calling

    Hello there
    I have a issue with sam SNP calling. I work with captured genomic sequences.
    The fold coverage is very high at 600X. I used BWA (mismatch penalty -7) to map the reads to the genome and used samtools to call SNPs. I used mpileup and then realised that a known SNP was not called by mpileup and I tried to investigate what is happening in that region with pileup. The output is as follows
    CFA15 1299612 T T 255 0 59 309 g,GG,,.g,,.G.g.,,,gg.G,gg,g,,.G.,,,,,,GG...gGG,,,g.ggggg,.ggG.gg..g,Gg.Gggg.G
    .g,,.gg,,,,gg.,g,g.,,.Gg,.,gg,gg,ggggG,..Ggg,,g,g,,,.g,gG,gGgg.g,GG,Gg,,..,,g.G,,,,,,,.G,,gg,gG.gg,gGGGg.GGGG,g,gGg,G,,g,,g,.,g,g..GG.G.,gggg
    GggG.G,,g,g,.,,..,gGG..G,G,,..g,gg,g,.,Ggg,.G,g,.,gGGGGg,G.GGg,.gggG,g,,,g,G.G..G...,g^]g^],^],^]g^]G !T!!]^^!^^^!^!^^^^!!^!^!!^!^^^!^^^^^^
    ^!!^^^!!!^^^!^!!!!!^^!!!^!!^^!^!!^!!!!^!^!^^^!!^^^^!!^^!^!^^^^!!^^^!!^!!^!!!!!^^^!!!^^!^!^^^^!^!!^!!!!^!^!!^!!^^^^^^!^!^^^^^^^^!^^!!^!!^!!^!!
    !!!^!!!!^!^!!!^!^^!^^!^^^!^!^^!!^!^^!!!!!!!!^!^^!]!^^^^^^^!!!^^!^!^^^B!^!!^!^^^!!!^^!^!^^^!!!!,!^!^!!!^^!!!!^!^__!_!_!EE!EEA>!!EE!!
    What I do not understand is why is samtools not reporting the consensus sequence as K ? Is this the reason why it is not called as variant position ?
    Thanks a lot for the answers
  • swbarnes2
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 910

    #2
    All those !'s are the lowest quality. It doesn't want to call a G because it thinks all the G calls are horribly unreliable.

    Did you run mpileup with the default settings? At my fingertips, I've got a similar case, with 2 SNPs that definitely sanger confirmed, but also had lousy quality scores. When I re-ran mpileup with -B, the quality scores improved to what the .sam file said they ought to be, and my two SNPs popped up.

    If you ran pileup, you should really get the newest version of samtools, and run mpileup. People will be less willing to troubleshoot software they know is superseded.

    Comment

    • kissthefuture
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 6

      #3
      do you have format the original data?If not ,I also understand...

      Comment

      • vidhya
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 4

        #4
        Thank you very much. It worked.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        10 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        32 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...