No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help using tabix

Dear All

How do you view the tbi file generated by tabix? I am using tabix v0.2.5 to index a local BED file of gene positions.

I would like to use the intervals generated by tabix and store them in a database for querying my sequence data from a RDMS. Is it possible to use tabix to
    a) generate the bin that a sequence resides in
    b) generate the bins that would need to be queried to get all feature within (or overlapping) a sequence region

Is tabix suitable for this purpose? Being as I can't view the index file at present its difficult to answer myself. I suspect the index file will only contain the bin a sequence resides in and will not be suitable for finding the bins to query for a sequence range. If tabix, is there anything else you could recommend?

thank you for your help

Also, what the interval sizes used by tabix? I could not find details of this. Can you control them?

Tabix allows you to access a file by quering for (for example) a chromosome and position and retrieve all the lines of that file that match your query.

Problems arise when you need to do thousands of lookups. Tabix can take hours to do, say, 100k lookups into DBSNP data. I wrote a Perl/C++ (Text::Tidx) alternative to tabix for annotating Exomes, using DBSNP or 1K genomes data. It uses a lot of RAM, but is much faster than tabix for that stuff.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses