Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mikyi
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 2

    #1

    MarkDuplicate, coverage

    Hi,

    I am using MarkDuplicate.jar of Picard tools to remove duplicate reads. Then I convert bam file to pileup file to extract coverage for each residue. In the middle of that, I have two kinds of bam, bam before MarkDuplicate.jar and bam after MarkDuplicate.jar. I generate pileup file for each bam file by using samtool's pileup. Then I get the coverage for each residue from pileup file. The coverage value is different between bam before MarkDuplicate.jar and bam after MarkDuplicate.jar? I want to use coverage value for CNV analysis, so it is very critical for my analysis. Could you let me know if someone has the same kind of work. Thank you.
  • Heisman
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 534

    #2
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you remove duplicates you would expect to see less coverage. You should definitely use the coverage values after removing duplicates (your second bam file).

    Comment

    • Calle
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 5

      #3
      No question is asked here really but I gather you are interested in knowing whether you should keep working with the duplicated removed or not for your CNV analysis.

      The answer to such a question would be dependent on, among other things, your depth of sequencing, your samples (single individuals or pools) and your sequencing strategy (i.e paired reads or fragments).

      A really high depth (for example 10000x) would give loads of duplicate reads even if PCR-duplicates were not present, especially if you are sequencing fragments but also paired reads if mean depth is sufficiently high and your insert size distribution is not tight.

      At insane mean depths (for example from enrichment studies) this will lead to all or close to all reads being treated as duplicates, which means you will only count each read once, which ultimately will mean that you have no chance of differentiating a CNV from normal sequence.

      Thus, I would be careful about just assuming dip-removal to be good for all kinds of analyses.

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      29 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      24 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      46 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...