No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a bioinfomatics primer!

Hi all,

I'm totally new to the whole world of sequencing and I am trying to understand the overall process AFTER sequencing - mutation calling, annotation, interpretation. Can anyone direct me to a basic primer on the subject?

What I really want to understand is - what software packages and services exist to solve these problems and what are the general costs and prices.

Thanks!

-O

I am moving this to the General section. Try taking a look at the GATK Best Practices v3 if you are going to do the analysis yourself.

Comment

Thanks.

I won't be doing the analysis myself. I just need to understand the process and the associated costs.

Thanks!
      O

Comment

The costs vary depending on whether you work with a company or academic core. And the costs depends very much on what you want to do.

Comment

I looked at the GATK. Looks like I need more remedial help.

Is anyone in the Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA area willing to sit & explain the process to me? We can meet at a cafe and I'll pay for the coffee/snacks. I'm starting way at the beginning. I have a background in science, but not genetics.

Thanks!

O

Comment

You are walking distance from the Broad Institute

Comment

That's the sad thing!

I WORK at the Broad Institute. I was hoping to meet some friendly Broadies and non-Broadies on this forum to help me out.

Comment

No wanna-be Broadies? :-)

As genericforms points out, the costs and programs and methods very much depend on what you want to do. There are many different experiments and goals that can be done with NGS. I break out the work into 3 initial broad categories:

Genome-wide analysis
                Transcriptomes (rnaseq)
                Amplicon

Then depending on if you have reference sequence the former two can be broken down into

de-novo
                versus a reference

And depending on the number of samples you might want to do comparative studies between your samples and other people's samples. Almost always want to do this for transcriptome and amplicon studies.

But those are just really broad concepts. If you want an expert on de-novo transcriptome then get hold of Brian Haas at the Broad. He is one of the main authors of the Trinity package.

Comment

Contact Mauricio Carneiro at 301

Comment

Perhaps a SEQanswers geographical community forum?

Anyone, time to set up a SEQanswers geographical community forum in Boston?
                    See post #54367 from Cambridge, UK.

Comment

Golden Helix has an interesting NGS primer on their blog site, in three parts (A Hitchhiker’s Guide to Next Generation Sequencing). Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but it's worth a shot.

If you have had any experience with Golden Helix, you know we are not a company to shy away from a challenge. We helped pioneer the uncharted territory of copy number analysis with our optimal segmenting algorithm, and we recently handcrafted a version that runs on graphical processing units that you can install in your desktop. So it’s probably no... Read more »

Andy
                      Last edited by aFerrin; 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

-O

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses