Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • biophy6
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 5

    #1

    need a bioinfomatics primer!

    Hi all,

    I'm totally new to the whole world of sequencing and I am trying to understand the overall process AFTER sequencing - mutation calling, annotation, interpretation. Can anyone direct me to a basic primer on the subject?

    What I really want to understand is - what software packages and services exist to solve these problems and what are the general costs and prices.

    Thanks!

    -O
  • adaptivegenome
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2009
    • 436

    #2
    I am moving this to the General section. Try taking a look at the GATK Best Practices v3 if you are going to do the analysis yourself.

    Comment

    • biophy6
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 5

      #3
      Thanks.

      I won't be doing the analysis myself. I just need to understand the process and the associated costs.

      Thanks!
      O

      Comment

      • adaptivegenome
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2009
        • 436

        #4
        The costs vary depending on whether you work with a company or academic core. And the costs depends very much on what you want to do.

        Comment

        • biophy6
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 5

          #5
          I looked at the GATK. Looks like I need more remedial help.

          Is anyone in the Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA area willing to sit & explain the process to me? We can meet at a cafe and I'll pay for the coffee/snacks. I'm starting way at the beginning. I have a background in science, but not genetics.

          Thanks!

          O

          Comment

          • adaptivegenome
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2009
            • 436

            #6
            You are walking distance from the Broad Institute

            Comment

            • biophy6
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 5

              #7
              That's the sad thing!

              I WORK at the Broad Institute. I was hoping to meet some friendly Broadies and non-Broadies on this forum to help me out.

              Comment

              • westerman
                Rick Westerman
                • Jun 2008
                • 1104

                #8
                No wanna-be Broadies? :-)

                As genericforms points out, the costs and programs and methods very much depend on what you want to do. There are many different experiments and goals that can be done with NGS. I break out the work into 3 initial broad categories:

                Genome-wide analysis
                Transcriptomes (rnaseq)
                Amplicon

                Then depending on if you have reference sequence the former two can be broken down into

                de-novo
                versus a reference

                And depending on the number of samples you might want to do comparative studies between your samples and other people's samples. Almost always want to do this for transcriptome and amplicon studies.

                But those are just really broad concepts. If you want an expert on de-novo transcriptome then get hold of Brian Haas at the Broad. He is one of the main authors of the Trinity package.

                Comment

                • davehsu04
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 1

                  #9
                  Contact Mauricio Carneiro at 301

                  Comment

                  • Joann
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 230

                    #10
                    Perhaps a SEQanswers geographical community forum?

                    Anyone, time to set up a SEQanswers geographical community forum in Boston?
                    See post #54367 from Cambridge, UK.

                    Comment

                    • aFerrin
                      Junior Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 1

                      #11
                      Golden Helix has an interesting NGS primer on their blog site, in three parts (A Hitchhiker’s Guide to Next Generation Sequencing). Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but it's worth a shot.

                      If you have had any experience with Golden Helix, you know we are not a company to shy away from a challenge. We helped pioneer the...


                      Andy
                      Last edited by aFerrin; 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM. Reason: added link

                      Comment

                      • biophy6
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 5

                        #12
                        Thanks for all the feedback.

                        -O

                        Comment

                        Latest Articles

                        Collapse

                        • SEQadmin2
                          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                          by SEQadmin2


                          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                          ...
                          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                        • SEQadmin2
                          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                          by SEQadmin2




                          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                        ad_right_rmr

                        Collapse

                        News

                        Collapse

                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                        0 responses
                        9 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                        0 responses
                        32 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                        0 responses
                        27 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                        1 response
                        48 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post pekgio
                        by pekgio
                         
                        Working...