Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may have noticed a recent item in In Sequence in which Illumina indicate a total of 1,500 installed machines (theirs plus others). See:

The google map is nice but still very incomplete - I guess many owners are not motivated or not aware of SequAnswers (too bad for them!)...
    By the way, if you're an academic (a pretty loose definition) you can get free access to In Sequence and to the other GenomeWeb newsletters (BioArray news, Pharmacogenomics..). This may require an email to the person in charge of the site, but it works!

Cheers,

Bertrand
    Bertrand Jordan
    Marseille-Nice Genopole
    Luminy Science Park
    13288 Marseille, FRANCE

Comment

I think the difference between the ~1500 reported by Illumina and the 540 (as of 20100405) in the HTS website comes mainly from people not being aware of the site, rather than from being reluctant to disclose the machines they have.

Over the weekend, I did a very simple Google search for queries like:
      "DNA sequencing facility" Illumina OR 454 OR SOLID site:.edu

and managed to find an extra half a dozen centers that have a website specifying the machines they have, prices, etc. but they weren't in the map.

There might be a portion of the machines that are in pharma companies and don't want to advertise the level of sequencing they are doing, but that is, I would say, in the few hundreds. I think the map could easily reach ~1250 out of the ~1500 if all the machines in all public centers were in the database.

Originally posted by brjordan View Post
      You may have noticed a recent item in In Sequence in which Illumina indicate a total of 1,500 installed machines (theirs plus others). See:

The google map is nice but still very incomplete - I guess many owners are not motivated or not aware of SequAnswers (too bad for them!)...
      By the way, if you're an academic (a pretty loose definition) you can get free access to In Sequence and to the other GenomeWeb newsletters (BioArray news, Pharmacogenomics..). This may require an email to the person in charge of the site, but it works!

Cheers,

Bertrand

Comment

If there are 1500 Illuminas out there then that means the map is about 1/3 complete. Which is pretty good for a community-run resource like this but I agree we could do better. If you do find a centre not in there, please put a placeholder down!

The results, so far, of the serial number challenge will be announced real soon now, and they are quite interesting!

Comment

Another piece of "numerical" news: Roche announces 139 M CHF (~139 M USD) sequencing sales in 2009, based exclusively on the 454 system. If I assume that 50% of this is new machine sales, and a unit price of 500 K USD, this works out to 140 454 systems sold last year, a figure that looks fairly reasonable. Of course this puts Roche last of the "big three", and you can understand why they launch the "GS junior"...
          Bertrand Jordan
          Marseille-Nice Genopole
          Luminy Science Park
          13288 Marseille, FRANCE

Comment

Hi there,
            anything new from the tanks? I only see 27 submissions on your web site

Comment

So how many machines have been shipped to its customers, may the 27 submissions is not enough to predict the shipped machines?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses