Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Next Generation" does have a nicer ring to it than "Markedly Faster than Last Year (but wait until next year)"

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
      "Next Generation" does have a nicer ring to it than "Markedly Faster than Last Year (but wait until next year)"
      Winner!

SEQanswers: The Markedly Faster than Last Year Sequencing Community

Comment

I like it, too. "All samples will undergo Markedly Faster Than Last Year sequencing to identify rare variants".

Comment

the acronym is not the sexiest though..

Comment

LBP sequencing

OK, so how about LBP (little bitty pieces) sequencing?

Comment

Originally posted by Joann View Post
              OK, so how about LBP (little bitty pieces) sequencing?
              Not all technologies are short read.

Comment

"All samples will undergo Markedly Faster and Slightly Longer Than Last Year sequencing to identify rare variants".

Comment

Which generation?

By my count Sanger is 3rd generation. The 1st nucleic acid sequence I remember was a tRNA sequence obtained by analysis of nuclease products on 2D thin layer chromatography. Then Maxam-Gilbert chemical sequencing emerged as the 1st tractable way to sequence longer stretches of DNA (how many or you know how to pour a meter long, 0.5mm thick polyacrylamide gel with no bubbles?). Then came the Sanger method which was much less finicky than chemical sequencing and ruled for more or less a human generation (albeit with technical improvements like switching to capillary electrophoresis along the way).

Now what you have is the parallel evolution of a variety of different technologies. I think the generational analogy has broken down. Perhaps a speciation analogy is more applicable now. I don't see single molecule sequencing as the next wave per se, rather each technology competing now has a niche application and often two technologies need to be combined to do a particular job well.

Comment

How about Age of Aquarius Sequencing? We could all grow our hair out, it'd be groovy.

Comment

Oh, the gels I have poured....

I did not have any bubble problems with acrylamide gels--would simply degas a solution of 5x recrystalized acrylamide before pouring....

Additionally, I've made purified whole protein samples, but never got to perform sequencing on those. Protein sequencing provided us the first glimpse at evolutionary conservation and those isoforms in action. Now we have the short course.

Comment

It will be "XGen": Before X PRIZE, After X PRIZE

How to identify sequencing technologies will become straightforward after some team demonstrates they can win the $10M Archon Genomic X PRIZE <http://genomics.xprize.org/>. The stringent requirements of the AGXP will distinguish all platforms capable of achieving such goals and henceforth sequencing platforms would be identified as “X PRIZE Capable” versus those that are not.

Larry Kedes
                        Senior Advisor. X PRIZE Foundation
                        Scientific Director, Archon Genomic X PRIZE

Comment

Originally posted by Michael.James.Clark View Post

ECO, I actually think you might be okay leaving "next generation" in the tag line. I mean, we are always going to be discussing the "next generation" (plus some of the last generation, probably).
                          I like the idea of always having the "next gen" name.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses